Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    aspiring

Tire recommendations for snow or "wintry mix"

I'm curious what tires folks would recommend for snow or "wintry mix", especially if you've driven in the NYC/Hudson Valley area.
    I just bought a 2005 9-5 wagon. The tires were newly put on, but I'm not sure how they'll do in the snow. I'll have to check what make/model the tires are - I think Continentals.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 95 arc 3.0

Snow Tires

Quote Originally Posted by xorlando View Post
    I'm curious what tires folks would recommend for snow or "wintry mix", especially if you've driven in the NYC/Hudson Valley area.
    I just bought a 2005 9-5 wagon. The tires were newly put on, but I'm not sure how they'll do in the snow. I'll have to check what make/model the tires are - I think Continentals.
    Hi, Xorlando, Front wheel drive cars are safe in snow. Just make sure ABS system is working. Any snow tire will do good. They are little noisy though.

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Our 9-5 is currently on a set of Nokian WR G3s, which do very well as all season tires go. You could probably do ok with these most of the time. We have similar wx, but less hills than you.
    Our beater car I swap out to full winter tires, currently Alpin Arctics. They are noisy in the dry, but with my job, I need to be able to get in quickly regardless of weather.
    I'm probably going to get a set of snows for the 9-5 soon. The sidewalls on 17" tires on't give much reserve for pothole impacts, and I already have set of 16" wheels.
    Our Odyssey has crappy OEM Continental all seasons. My wife refused to drive it last winter they were so bad.

If you're considering getting snows, get a set of dedicated wheels so you can swap them quickly. The Alpine Arctics and Firestone WinterForce are both pretty inexpensive and work great in snow, ice and slush.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Although oversimplifying, I think that much of the country should use "the best snow tires" if you have only one car. Performance snow tires are better for fringe areas, like Northern California to Dallas to Memphis to North Carolina. I might even use snow tires in Atlanta, not sure. All seasons can be used in the winter south of this area. Only a few areas can use summer tires in the winter like Hawaii, San Francisco, the very south tip of Texas and Miami.

Therefore, if I lived in Georgia, I might use all seasons or performance snow tires in the winter and summer tires in the summer. If the car were getting old, I might use all seasons all year long in Georgia.