Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    I checked the link and found that there are no numbers or markings or country of manufacture on the part at all. The original part has the part number on it and a small triangular logo.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    Replaced a leaky front power steering line. Best way is to take off the front clip and the passenger side headlight.

Also take the air intake snorkel out as it is in the way!

Here is the leaky part of the line - the lower crimp on the rubber section coming off the power steering pump.

The view through the headlight opening. The power steering pump and the line connection are right there. The fitting is very hard to line up and get the thread started. And be sure the little seal is on the fitting. It will pop off!

Finished install. It took almost 1 litre of the expensive ps fluid, $27, to fill the system. Now no more leaks.

Last edited by aeronaut; 30 July 2018 at 17:44.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    Last edited by aeronaut; 04 September 2018 at 14:09.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    '97 900 Talladega, '07 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Installed a set of carbon fibre mirror covers as part of a repair to my passenger side mirror which was clipped by a temporary road sign. I am happy with how they turned out.

Sweet mirror covers! Where did you purchase them from?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    Here is a pair on Ebay UK. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-9-3-...-/282862658920

I purchased mine directly from Parts for Saabs. https://www.partsforsaabs.com/index....1faedf4cb5af87

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    Installed 3" stainless downpipe and racecat:

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    The flex pipe section (only 2.5 years old!) rusted out as well the flange on my downpipe where it connected to this pipe was cracked off. The hangers on the downpipe also broke off due to rust as I removed it from the car.

So a decision was made to replace the stock down pipe and the flex connector piece with an aftermarket 3" stainless downpipe. The new downpipe includes a race cat. Luckily the pipe was on sale for $325 at eeuro and is very high quality and fit. The lower oxygen sensor was very difficult to remove from the old down pipe. A combination of wd40,a special o2 sensor crowsfoot tool and a blowtorch was needed to get the job done, this was the hardest part of the job. The three studs on the turbo connection were easily removed. A hacksaw was needed to cut the rusty bolts connecting the flex pipe section to the rest of the exhaust going to the rear of the car.

The connection to the turbo/exhaust manifold takes a couple of tries as for those with an automatic transmission a part of the transmission housing is in the way and needs to be ground off. I used a mini grinder.

From below you can see to the left where the transmission housing was ground off. It still touches the pipe I think but it doesn't interfere with lining up properly on the studs.

Pic from underneath. I used stainless nuts and bolts to connect to the catback section of the system. This is a stainless BSR system about 2.5 years old. No need to use a hacksaw if I need to take this apart in the future.

Also replaced the transmission mount. The old one was finished.
    Last edited by aeronaut; 11 April 2019 at 20:04.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    A picture of the core of the race cat. I took the section back off the car as the cat developed a loud rattle. Turned out a small tack weld that held the catalytic cartridge in place had let go and allowed it to rattle inside the stainless pipe.

I fixed it by tapping a very thin piece of metal in between the cartridge and the stainless pipe. All is now good and reinstalled. The edge of the thin piece of metal is seem in the pic below. That little bump to the left is the failed tack weld.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    Foggy spring day in Nova Scotia