Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by XLR99 View Post
    The one thing I'd consider with that one is the spindly sway bar end links; I'm putting Moog end links on mine now.
    Thanks for all the input XLR99. I'll likely just go with the Moog sway end links based on your recommendation. I'd rather do this once with quality parts rather than revisit down the road (that's an unintended pun).

if you don't have a spring compressor, it may be easier to just do the quick change option.
    I don't have a spring compressor. Without looking at prices I was thinking of purchasing one. When you say quick change option, do you mean purchasing something with a spring and coil, all in one?

Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Some replace the heater bypass valve with hoses as there is not really a need to have that valve in the first place. More info in this thread: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=2809
    Thanks for that link Wulf. I may end up doing the bypass. Do you happen to know if there are any potential downsides to this? I do have a couple more questions about the procedure, especially in regards to MNZTR's fix but I'll post in that thread.

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900

I don't have a spring compressor. Without looking at prices I was thinking of purchasing one. When you say quick change option, do you mean purchasing something with a spring and coil, all in one?

Yes, that's what I was referring to.
    If you do get a spring compressor, get a good one and treat with respect when you have it compressed!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Man, oh man. Today I woke up at 7am and headed to my friend's place to work on the Saab.

I thought I could whiz through the CPS replacement, the removal of the the CBV and replacement with the two hoses, replacing the fuel filter, removing the security alarm box to replace batteries, replacing the throttle body, and changing the vacuum lines. So easy.

Wrong! Didn't start working until 10am because breakfast and coffee. Then decided to start the CPS job. I worked from underneath the car. It was a pain and a half to do but was infinitely more easy than going on from the top. Getting that screw back in was awful.

Then I decided to do the CBV mod that Wulf linked. Took soo long to do. Those damn hoses, those damn clips, and the awkward angles. I almost threw in the towel multiple times. Some people said I might get "some coolant spilled," but damn, there was tons of coolant spilled.

I took the time to replace some, but not all, of the most brittle of my vacuum lines.

These two projects to about 6 hours total for me. I decided to call it a day and rotate my tires.

So I get out the torque wrench and torque to spec. Get to the last wheel and one of the bolts keeps spinning. That's weird. I pull out the torque wrench and the damn bolt had sheared off into the hub.

Okay, well, 4 out of 5 bolts ain't bad. My friend starts to torque another on that same wheel and he gives me a look. He pulls out an intact bolt, but the thing had a massive crack in it. So now I have 3 of 5 bolts.

I head to the tool store and get some screw extractors. As my friend is trying to create a pilot hole in the bolt that's in the hub, the screw falls through the hub and gets stuck between the rotor and the cover behind it.

Now we have to take the rotor off, so time for some brake work.

Eventually everything is put back together and fortunately my friend had a full set of used, but good condition, wheel lug bolts. Because all of my lug bolts were corroded. I have been driving on these awful bolts since I purchased a the car. That's scary.

As I was driving home I got a "fill coolant reservoir" alert. I freaked out, it was 10pm and I still had thirty miles to home. Fortunately had some coolant in the car trunk, drive to Safeway and bought a lot of water (in case I somehow incorrectly secured the coolant houses) , checked for leaks (there were none).

I got home safe and sound and a little nerve racked. But at least I don't have to worry about a CPS failure or a CBV dumping coolant everywhere ever again.

I'll post some pictures once I get to a computer.

Next week I plan on using my days off to full advantage. Maybe even start other projects.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    I've had a few days like that. That's why I only plan on one thing at a time. You did right with the CPS from below, but the bolt is a bitch due to the heat shield. I'm not sure it's necessary, probably put in as a precaution.

Handling the coolant bypass hose clips is best done with the special clip pliers. Not much space to work with even after moving the harness out of the way.

Rusty wheel bolts are an issue on Saabs that get exposed to road salt. My wheels were frozen to the hubs, and I had to kick them off. Tire rotation is something I let the shop do. They put bolts on so tight that I have to use a length of pipe on my wrench to loosen.

Glad you made through your first session. Many more fun things to replace.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Ah the joy of working on cars... . Those CPSs seem so simple to change, until you actually do it. I did mine from above, but it was not fun.

Yazdo did you figure out why the coolant light came on? Just some air in the system that hadn't burped out yet before you started driving?
    I got a set of the same bypass hoses, and will be doing them at the end of my marathon 175k refresh on my car.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by southsaab View Post
    Handling the coolant bypass hose clips is best done with the special clip pliers. Not much space to work with even after moving the harness out of the way.
    Yea, I gave up at one point and called a few auto parts stores to see if they had the tool. One of them did. But my friend is a stubborn man and would not relent. He ended up getting them off using c-clamps. It wasn't elegant but it worked. I'm still going to be purchasing one of those tools so I don't have to deal with the idiocy of those clips.

Quote Originally Posted by southsaab View Post
    Rusty wheel bolts are an issue on Saabs that get exposed to road salt.
    The thing is this is a California car. The bolts also didn't seem rusted, just weak and corroded. Based on the paperwork from the previous owner, he did go to discount tire shops often. I wonder if he bought some discount bolts as well.

I may also be in store for some transmission gasket issues. I have a manual and while under the car there was oil buildup near the drain hole of the transmission plug. Not too excited about that.

Yazdo did you figure out why the coolant light came on? Just some air in the system that hadn't burped out yet before you started driving?
    That's what I think it was. After doing the job I ran the car to see if any leaks occurred (but only for a minute or two). The reservoir was slightly low at this point and I thought that by topping it off I was done. However, a lot of coolant came out during the job. I'll take a picture of the container that I stored what coolant I caught. So while driving for about ten-fifteen minutes the alert comes on. I pull off, freaking out that I may have not tightened the hoses sufficiently (Worm clamps still suck too), I don't see any leaks but my engine does have smoke (this likely was from the coolant that was burning off from the earlier job).

I still had a nearly full container of coolant, filled it up halfway, drove to the store, got some water, and filled the reservoir up the rest of the way. No problems since then. I'll be driving for some chores today and will be keeping a watchful eye. Just in case though, I have like five gallons of water in the car right now. Hah.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I think any DIY (Saab) mechanic has had one of those days before so at least you're not the only one. But that doesn't make things better when you're trying to get things done and small issues can become a few hours fixing another problem.

A car lift would make many repairs soooo much easier, especially under the car. That's my dream to have one of those in large, nicely equipped garage.

These are essential for replacing the CBV, water pump and pretty much any other hose clip. I used regular pliers for many years and finally getting one of these made life so much easier. I first had regular hose clip pliers but these with a cable are the easiest for tight spots like the CBV. Under $20 from Amazon.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Hi all - So I've replaced the CPS, took out the heater valve and replaced it with the Mckay tubes, replaced the tires (worse than I thought), and replaced some vacuum lines (which may have fixed my surging problem).

Yesterday I went on a long drive, about two-and-a-half hours, and a burning plastic smell began coming through my vents. What could that be? I read on the internet that it could be burning oil (since it's synthetic) and maybe I should retorque the head gasket bolts?

The car is running just fine. I let it rest overnight thinking it was the transmission (was stuck in traffic on a steep hill yesterday and have a manual) but the smell was there this morning. It dissipated as I drove but I am still worried.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    So that burning smell thing is gone.

I have since got new tires and am installing the saabaux bluetooth kit. Love the tape player and CD player too much.

I am not having as many surge issues anymore but I do think I still need to replace the throttle body.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Hey Guys,

I've been out of the loop for a good bit. I was diagnosed with CNS Lymphoma (a.k.a. brain cancer) in February 2016 at the ripe-old age of thirty-three. I'm currently in remission.

So I finally installed the saabaux bluetooth kit. It was a pain in the ass to get the radio back in.

I've also replaced the engine air filter, replaced the fuel filter, replaced the DIC again (the non-Saab branded one was actually smoking the other day - fire disaster thankfully averted), and cleaned the MAF. I also replaced the battery (somehow for free) since the DMV took my license due to the brain cancer.

Today, after two days of working on it, I finally replaced my throttle body with a used one I got for $80 on eBay. Two days is a long time but it was a pain in the ass to deal with. The bottom coolant hose wouldn't budge without a pick. When I removed the throttle body part of my gasket was missing. Maybe this has something to do with my erratic idling.

Name:  eJ7CR8P.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  35.4 KB

I replaced one more vacuum line with silicone and have one left to change. I realize I will have to replace this "new" throttle body but you know, brain cancer, just trying to get myself back into the world.

I plan on sending the throttle body to BBA Reman even though their current "repair" cost is $180.

I've read threads where the price used to be around $45. Over 300% inflation in eight years? Yea, right.

At any rate, I still need to replace my springs. I have some springs in the garage and will replace them once I purchase a block of wood to get the car higher than the safety stands.