Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    While a misbehaving Saab is one of life's more aggravating events, brain cancer has that beat. So sorry to hear of that (only 33!), glad you are in remission. Obvious feeling well enough to wrench on your Saab, and that's a good thing.

Throttle bodys are quirky when wiring is degraded by heat. Tricky to repair, even for pros. I'd try and work with used one, and get some of the other issues sorted.

Good to have you back.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by southsaab View Post
    While a misbehaving Saab is one of life's more aggravating events, brain cancer has that beat. So sorry to hear of that (only 33!), glad you are in remission. Obvious feeling well enough to wrench on your Saab, and that's a good thing.
    Thanks. As much as I hate working on this car, actually driving it is a pleasure...even with the poor suspension.

Throttle bodys are quirky when wiring is degraded by heat. Tricky to repair, even for pros. I'd try and work with used one, and get some of the other issues sorted.
    Okay cool. I'll hold off on getting it repaired then. My Saab is currently running on that used one. We'll see if my terrible gas MPG improves (currently 14 city/19 highway).

Good to have you back.
    I do appreciate that southsaab. Life is crazy.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    So my Saab's MPG has improved. Not by much, but there's improvement.

I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and replaced both of the front shocks.

The passenger side one took​ almost a total of four hours the first time (I'm still kinda weak from all the chemo and shit).

But I had to do the passenger side one once again because I fucked up and left a bracket on the older shock that I had no clue was there. It only took fifteen minutes that time.

I'll be replacing the rear ones soon.

However, after changing the front shocks it became clear that my engine mounts are fucked too.

Oh, Saab. You keep on giving.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    Congrats on your persistence, and success, but I must scold you as a parent not to overdo it. If you get tired, please stop and rest.

And yes, Saabs are wonderfully giving...

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    about throttle body failure, i have a 2001 2.3 with TCS with 106.000 KMS I have a lot of issues with that, drive me mad, in my 2002 2.0t with ESP 246.000 kms nothing happen , has i can see in different sites it happen often on cars with TCS.
    for me the DIC when you don't have much money like me is to order a new OEM with plugs, store in your trunk and when you are in trouble swap it
    and a decent OBDII reader is the best friend you can have.
    the codes throwing by the DIC or plugs is
    P1312/1314
    P0340 CPS
    and for the kit you talking about it seems to be valuable because the rear bushing is 75$ alone.
    Last edited by swisssaabist; 09 June 2017 at 11:55.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    Hope all goes well for you and your health, did you hear the new advance in cancer research about the fact to doing a complete diet before chimo for 3 days, it appears to starve the bad cells and the good ones are in autoprotection, having no damage, for the bad they don't endure the lack of nutriments, become more fragile and even the side effects of chimo are reduced. i promise to me to do this in case of.
    So Anyway wish you the best for you !!!!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Thanks swisssaabist. I appreciate the input. Currently I have a total of three DICs in the garage. Two Saab ones and one made by a third-party manufacturer. That one sucked and died.

Today I plan to change my rear shock absorbers.

Additionally, the a/c, just this week, has only been pushing hot air and the Bay has been getting hot.

I googled and found out that people just go and get freon kits from the auto store and fill it up. I purchased a can of freon from the autoparts store for over $50 (still unused). I then went home and did some more research and found that people do not recommend using the autoparts store freon to fill up your car because of the various additives and also that one might need two cans to complete the job. So I went to the shop to have it filled for $95.

Unfortunately, my car wasn't filling up with freon because of a big leak from the A/C compressor. Damn, fucking Saab piece-of-shit. I was only charged $65 to determine that the compressor is fucked. So I've looked at various brands of A/C compressors. Anyone have a suggestion?

Some sites sell complete kits for ~$250 (which also includes the drier) whereas other sites sell Saab A/C compressors for ~$500-600. Eeuroparts has a sale on a Bosch version at ~$300 (which seems to be about $100 less than Amazon). Which manufacturer is the best part to go with considering I recently started working and don't have a bunch of money to throw at this compressor.

Anyone with any experience?

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    no answer for Saab parts but knowing for the refilling of freon you need to have the exact charge of, or it will malfunctioning around 875 gr of R134.
    at my advice Bosch has a reputable quality and 300$ is a cheap price compared to OEM

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Most big compressor leaks are found at the line set seal, very inexpensive to replace. Any system that has been open to air should get a new dryer, for what it cost to charge a system, even if it isn't contaminated, as cheap as dryers are it's not worth risking the cost of a second fill.

With new systems you check the head pressures for proper operation, but you evac to empty and charge by weight. A good home office digital postage meter and you can DIY your own AC charge. Remember that your line set is going to hold some of the Freon, so don't forget to add that weight to the system charge.

Went to an auto AC continuing ED seminar back in the mid to late 2000's on the new AC system requirements and a dozen years later I don't remember which car takes how much and swissaabist is right about causing trouble if you over charge a system.

My part recommendation is make sure you're not replacing an expensive compressor to fix a couple dollar seal problem. If it leaks Freon as fast as it sounds like it is, pushing in a can of Freon with UV dye won't over charge the system and you probably won't need to use a UV light to find the leak.

If you do this yourself and when you disconnect the lines at the compressor, stick your finger tip into the compressor and feel for grit. If you have metal flakes in your compressor oil the compressor is toasted and it's time to replace. Also for what it cost to buy brand new, used AC compressors are cheap and worth taking, and risking the cost of doing the same job twice.
    Last edited by Digger; 25 June 2017 at 19:19.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Hey Digger, thanks for the response. Is working on the a/c compressor an amateur mechanic should do? Should I just go to an a/c shop?

There is an a/c shop out in a cheaper area but I'd rather know it's not the compressor.

I can check the WIS to see how much freon the system takes but I believe there are other places on the web that say the amount.

My slave clutch cylinder went bad last Sunday. I was headed to a city 60 miles north and it basically died on the way. Luckily my sister was around with her AAA. I decided to go with a mechanic because removing the subframe would have needed at least another jack, an engine suspension system, and a way to bleed the system.

The mechanic suggested replacing the clutch since the job is essentially the same. I said yes. It cost $1,800 with subframe bushings replaced and an engine wash I didn't ask for. But whatever. The car drives insanely better. Like, it feels awesome.

Additionally the mechanic let me know that some of the subframe bolts were loose when they went in. Previous owner.

They suggested replacing my sway bars, engine mounts, and to do a "coolant service." I'm not sure how much I trust their pricing but they are one of the only Saab mechanics around.

My rear, driver-side brake light is acting up as well. The mechanic let me know that the unit that the lights sit in has essentially melted. They offered a used version for $90 (not including install). Is that a good price? I feel like I could head to a salvage yard and possibly get the part cheaper (that's if it hasn't already been picked up)?

...After like forty minutes of looking I found the part number: 5404546. It used to cost $18.24 at eeuroparts (apparently no longer available). Looks like I found my answer to that question. Jerks.