Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by yazdo View Post
    Hey Digger, thanks for the response. Is working on the a/c compressor an amateur mechanic should do? Should I just go to an a/c shop?

There is an a/c shop out in a cheaper area but I'd rather know it's not the compressor.

I can check the WIS to see how much freon the system takes but I believe there are other places on the web that say the amount.
    To actually repair an AC system you need at the very minimum a vacuum pump and gage set. Amateur or not, the tools you have limit what you can do. For finding a big leak Freon with dye and single fill line hose will do. Smaller leaks and you need to add a UV light to see the UV dye. For really small leaks you need to add a sniffer and even though you can get all these things from harbor freight, there is a point where having this done cost less than doing it yourself.

Adding Freon with dye and finding a big leak is about a 15 minute job, put it in, let it sit overnight, look for the green puddle in the morning and follow the trail back to the leak. If you find your big Freon leak is the line set seal, replacing the seals and having the system charged at a shop with all the tools cost less than buying everything you need to do the job once. A few dollars for Freon with dye could keep you from getting stiffed for a compressor replacement you don't need and any leak you find that you can fix yourself can save you hundreds over the cost of having someone else do this for you.

So someone told you that you need a new compressor and you don't find a big leak at the line seal, odds are the compressor is leaking internally between the high and low side. An amateur mechanic can replace the compressor and install new seals. For less than the price of the cheapest set of tools to do the rest of the job, you can have the system vacuum checked and charged. Don't know what this cost in Oakland, where I am you can install two good used compressors that aren't any good and still come out ahead.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Thanks Digger. I suspect I'll be heading to a junkyard to find a used a/c compressor.

I just got back from a Pick-and-Pull and found the tail light socket in the car. It cost around $13 with tax. I then went to my car, put the socket in, and still got the warning from the SID regarding my rear lights.

So I then headed to the auto store and picked up some new bulbs for about $10. Greased them up, put them in, start the car, and no warning lights regarding my brake lights now.

So that's cool. $23 total vs. $90 as quoted from Saab Replay (edit: without labor included).
    Last edited by yazdo; 06 August 2017 at 00:16.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    I have say freon but is not that's R134 knowing freon is forbidden in all countries for saving the ozone layer ( and who cares about that for today like acid rains !!! no news about )

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yazdo View Post
    Thanks Digger. I suspect I'll be heading to a junkyard to find a used a/c compressor.

I just got back from a Pick-and-Pull and found the tail light socket in the car. It cost around $13 with tax. I then went to my car, put the socket in, and still got the warning from the SID regarding my rear lights.

So I then headed to the auto store and picked up some new bulbs for about $10. Greased them up, put them in, start the car, and no warning lights regarding my brake lights now.

So that's cool. $23 total vs. $90 as quoted from Saab Replay (edit: without labor included).
    I have see a vid on youtube about a mercedes benz with 400 000 on it checked by a guy who's compare official dealer prices for repairs and check the car so official at 8500 $
    like 2200$ just for changing bushings on the front suspensions 1900$ for oil pump and they doesn't see the brakes are worn just horrible crockery at my opinion.
    like we have talking about premium cars doesn't worth it's prices and are not good daily driver car.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    I have see a vid on youtube about a mercedes benz with 400 000 on it checked by a guy who's compare official dealer prices for repairs and check the car so official at 8500 $
    like 2200$ just for changing bushings on the front suspensions 1900$ for oil pump and they doesn't see the brakes are worn just horrible crockery at my opinion.
    like we have talking about premium cars doesn't worth it's prices and are not good daily driver car.
    Yea, the prices on repairs for these cars can definitely cause a heart attack.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    Hey what's up ?
    do you have been doing your ACC repair ? for answered to your question about the weight of R134 is 875 gr ( sorry cannot transmute in unusual martian measurements)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    No, not yet. I already spent enough on the car this year, going to wait until the end of the year to tackle the ac.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    Yeah understand so well , mine is going to be a money pit for suspensions and bushings repairs even if i make those by myself and that's not the end considering exhaust, rebuilding timing stuff and finally a paint make up for both bumpers...pfff discouraged sometimes.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    So I've been driving my car for a little bit and while driving a low hum started to occur. The hum then grew much louder and actually sounded like I had a big exhaust system.

The noise only occurred as the wheels were moving. I tested this out by revving the car. The sound didn't occur as the engine revved up. So I figured it had something to do with the wheels.

The noise was coming from the front-passenger side of the car. So I googled up some keywords and it led me to assume my wheel bearings had gone bad.

Ever since the whole brain cancer thing I've been pretty weak. This was highlighted while doing the shock job on my car. So, instead of trying to pry the hub from the CV joint myself, I headed to Craigslist to see if I could find a cheaper mechanic who heads to me.

I found a guy who was willing to change the hub and my sway bar/tie rod ends (seen them called both) for $200 without parts.

I had ordered a Timken wheel hub and Moog tie rod end links.

The gentleman from Craiglist showed up, changed the parts within two hours, and my car now drives even better than before.

The guy from Craigslist did a good job. He doesn't do a lot of jobs but will come out if the person on the phone seems to be sane.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    that's fine you have resolved your issue with some help. seems for me a good price if the work have been doing properly. be careful for your health and hope you being well for the future.