Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    89 900 SPG

Hello! Looking to get into the 99 crowd

Just joined up & saw this was the place to say hi, howdy, hej! Grown up around 900's & 9000's, but looking locally at a 99 EMS that seems to be in good shape for being a Northeast car. Any thing specific about those I should focus on (specific rust/rot trouble spots)? Owner says its a '75 with a '78 Turbo/5speed gearbox and a "barn find" (i.e. will need a trailer, no title) If there's a better subforum to direct these questions to, I'd appreciate it!

Bryan

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome. I moved your thread to the 90/99 Workshop forum and hopefully will get the attention of other Saab 99 enthusiasts.

Saab(s)
    89 900 SPG
    Thanks Frank!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99T 2 door, 9.5 Hirsch Aero
    Not sure if this helps, but there were no '78 Turbos, which would be the 3 door Combi coupe body, with a 5 speed gearbox.

Check drive shaft tunnels and bottom of wheel arches. The injection system will need overhauling if it has been stood for a long time.

Oops just realised how old this post was.!

Saab(s)
    89 900 SPG
    Thanks for the tip! I think that EMS was a bit of a Frankenstein, ended up missing out on it anyways. Got an 89 SPG locally to hold me over until I can find a decent 99 in the area. Hope to be back here posting when I do!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Having owned several of every model SAABs for forty years, the 99 is still my favorite around-town runabout. The 99 just sold me on SAAB. There's just something about the seating position which gives the feeling the car is pivoting around the driver. I wouldn't have an automatic as a gift, but the manual transmission models are just fun to drive, great visibility, stability in snow. My all-time favorite was the '78 EMS.

Not so goods:
    1. Noisy at highway speeds.
    2. Maintenance-intensive, especially clutch (use turbo disc), clutch linkage (learn to rebuild yourself, add bronze bushings to the U-bracket), water pump, injectors.
    3. Interior falls apart.
    4. Belgian-built models had body-prep flaws which lead to rust.

Hope you find a good one.

jack vines