Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2000 9-5

2000 Saab 9-5 ignition problems

Hi, my sweetheart owns a 2000 Saab 9-5. She is having ignition problems with it. Its new to me so I am doing my best to figure it out. Randomly whether hot or cold the car just wont start. When she turns the ignition on it just sort of clicks, nothing under the hood engages. I can hear the relays under the hood engaging but thats it. Then after about 10 minutes the car will start right up no problem. She says that its getting worse and taking longer to eventually start up. Ive been reading in this forum and "Ignition cassette and ignition switch" comes up a lot. My first time here and first time seeing/ being told of this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Assuming the battery is in good shape, this could just be an issue with the battery cables or grounds being corroded or dirty, making the resistance go up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    Adding to XLR99's post, have the battery checked at autozone, advance, etc. It sounds sketchy.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 Aero
    How many miles are on the car? I am by no means an expert but have been reading a lot of posts. Just as a disclaimer I am new to the Saab community. However, rough starts could have to do with Crankshaft Position Sensor (CPS) or the Direct Ignition Cassette (DIC). Saabs of that age generally will need both those items changed out. The DIC is a quick and easy fix. The CPS is easy, but not quick at all. It's in a really difficult spot, removal and installation are a pain. Putting the car on jackstands, going in from the bottom, and using a small ratchet and thumbwheel was how I conquered it.

That being said, starting problems related to the CPS seem to usually crop up when the car is warm.

When the car has started, how does it idle?

I'm sure you'll get a lot more accurate advice and good luck with the Saab.

Saab(s)
    2001 Saab 9-5 SE
    I have this same issue. I was told it's a security problem; if the car doesn't think it is in park, it won't start. My mechanic was pretty befuddled and suggested jiggling the gear shift, which doesn't usually help. One time I engaged the handbrake and the car started shortly after. I think it usually happens when I'm in a rush a turn the car off before taking my foot off the brake after parking. I've found putting it in park then waiting about 30 seconds or even putting it back in drive then park works. I also have been using the handbrake for normal parking and it has seemed to reduce the frequency of the problem.

Good luck!

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    If it is the Neutral Safety Switch try running the gears up and down then see if it will start in neutral. If it does then that likely is what it is.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 V6
    It does sounds as if it could be the NSS. Was convinced that was the issue with mine when I had an identical problem. Turned out I hadn't tightened up the battery terminal sufficiently after doing some work. I should really have known better.