Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5

Saab 9-5: engine runs rough and wants to die. Engine light is on.

We have a 2005 Saab 9-5 Arc sedan with 100K miles on it. It's my wife's daily driver.

A few days ago she said the engine was running rough and wants to die after putting the transmission in gear. She also said the engine light on the dash is on (continuously on – not flashing).

This morning I went out to her car and plugged in my OBD II scanner. There was one error code:

Manufacturer Control P1230 $11

Any ideas what this means? Is it the throttle body perchance?

Thanks

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Did a quick google search, and that does come back to the throttle body.
    Mine is an intermittent issue, lumpy, surging idle. It's never thrown a code though. I've cleaned the throttle plate which helped somewhat I'll prb change it when it starts dropping a code or my wife complains more.
    Did you try clearing the code yet? If it's only occasional/intermittent maybe try and stretch it out for abit.
    I think they're ~400-450 for a new one, or a company called BBA does rebuild/exchanges. http://us.shop.bba-reman.com/product...le-makes/saab/ I've heard they don't last as long as a new one though.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Thanks for the reply.

I did some research and it would appear the throttle body is a ticking time bomb on this car, so I just went ahead and ordered a new one. I'll install it this weekend.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/6630...ody-007623271/

Got a question, though: some references I've pulled up show the error code is for the throttle body position sensors, and others say the error code is for the fuel pump. Which is correct? I hope the former is correct.

Dave
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2001 93 2.0Ltr HOT Aero coupe & 2011 1.9TTiD Aero saloon
    Hi
    Here is the info your looking for.
    http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=25302
    Dave

P1230 - Open power to fuel pump circuit (Ford)
    Codes that begin-P0 are generic
    Codes that begin-P1 are vehicle/manufacturer specific
    I generally use sites that ask for make and model etc, If the search " not found" comes back, it's better than the wrong info.
    Just remembered .
    http://www.ecutesting.com/saab_common_ecu_failures.html
    Hope it helps
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave 2 93s; 30 November 2015 at 18:46. Reason: added info onto the bottom

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Thought I would provide an update.

I replaced the throttle body, and now it runs perfectly.

But it didn't at first... after I replaced the throttle body, the CIL continued to come on, and the engine ran rough. I finally discovered the reason: the new throttle body was in limp home mode when I installed it!

Lesson learned: before you install a new throttle body, make sure it is not in limp home mode!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5 S Wagon-01
    Thank you so much for this thread. One of mine are behaving in a way that has me suspecting the throttle body.

Saab(s)
    Glad you found a fix! Out of curiosity, did you spring for a new TB or rebuilt? I saw that BBA does exchanges for remans for $175 thru Ebay, which is cheaper than their own website.

How did you reset the limp home mode - is that tied to the DTC Code so it clears when you clear the code?

I almost pulled the trigger on one for my car this week, but December is expensive with two kids .

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5
    Another Ohioan!

Quote Originally Posted by XLR99 View Post
    Glad you found a fix! Out of curiosity, did you spring for a new TB or rebuilt? I saw that BBA does exchanges for remans for $175 thru Ebay,which is cheaper than their own website.
    I just went ahead and purchased a new one from eEuroparts.

How did you reset the limp home mode - is that tied to the DTC Code so it clears when you clear the code?
    If the throttle body is in limp home mode (and there's an easy way to check if it is or not), it is very easy to reset it. It's a mechanical procedure, and all you need is a screwdriver. There are some youtube videos on how to do it.

I am not sure how or if the limp home mode is tied to the OBD II codes.

Here's what happened: after I installed the throttle body, the car ran fine for a day or two. And then the engine light came on. I read the code, and it said the MAF sensor was bad (??). I reset the code and the light CIL on again. It was three codes that time. I reset it. And then the car started running rough again. I did some more google searching on the throttle body and I said to myself, "I wonder if the new throttle body is in limp home mode?" I popped the hood, inspected the throttle body, and sure enough it was in limp home mode. And it was in that mode when I installed it! So I simply got it out of that mode and it's been running fine ever since.

I almost pulled the trigger on one for my car this week, but December is expensive with two kids .
    Are you down near Cincinnati? Let me know if you need help changing the throttle body.

Saab(s)
    Thanks! Mine still provides boost into the red, still no codes, so I haven't been pushed into doing any research into limp home yet.

Unfortunately I'm up near CLE, but fortunately out of the snow belt! Thanks for the offer though!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    I've had a similar intermittent problem lately and I was just about to post a thread when I found this, so I'll ask here instead.

2006 9-5 "Aero"

Symptoms seem to be the same. I'll be driving along, and when I close the throttle, or have it just a bit open, the car struggles to find the idle speed. It'll drop to 500-750 RPM (or even 250 on occasion, causing it to almost stall). Once it did stall just as I parked, and that was the only time that a code was thrown (P0300 Random Misfire). I've read a number of posts on various forums about this and the following were done, either by me or a mechanic:

Cleaned throttle body - wasn't overly dirty
    Cleaned MAF
    Checked for vacuum leak - none found
    Checked spark plugs - a little black, but nothing that should cause concern (NGK PFR6H-10, installed about 9 months ago, used for about 40,000 km so far)
    DIC appears fine, no code, brand new OEM unit installed same time as spark plugs

This issue has happened 4 times so far. The last three times it's happened, it occurred right after filling up at the same gas station. I think the 1st time was there too, but I can't be sure. I always fill up with their premium (91 octane), which is advertised as containing no ethanol. Could this be due to bad gasoline? It happens right after I fill to max, after I drive for ~10km and let it sit for a bit, the problem doesn't return.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts.