Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2008 95 Aero

Question 2008 95 Aero - Xenon woes

Noob user (with questions of course!)

I got the headlight indicator dash light with the leveling fail indicator (not sure if these ever go off separately?), and the bulb is not functioning. Just crapped myself when I saw the price for replacement bulbs. It actually does work for a couple minutes when I start the car, but quickly indicates a fault again. A few questions then:

1. Does it have to be a xenon bulb, or can I cheap out in the short term and just get halogen? I think this is a no, but just want to be sure.
    2. If it has to be xenon, are there any tested conversion packages that anyone knows of to either Halogen or LED? Spent an hour looking, but didn't find anything that looked like it would work for certain.
    3. If no conversion packages, is it feasible to install the pre-2006 Halogen wiring for the unused second light and ditch the xenon?

Thanks for any info you've got!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    1. Yes, has to be a D1S Xenon bulb
    2. I haven't seen any but also really haven't looked for it.
    3. Not sure what unused second light you're referring to. The two inner lights that do not have any bulbs in them?

$100 for 2 new Xenon bulbs is not too bad. I am sure you'll spend a lot of time and money to try to convert to halogen. And Xenon has much better light output than halogen. I ordered Philips D1S bulbs from Amazon. More info here: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=31244

Saab(s)
    2008 95 Aero
    Thanks Wulf!

I was pretty convinced I was stuck with Xenon, but I also thought I was looking at $100+ per bulb, so the link is great, thanks.

Also, yes I was referring to the inner lights that are useless as of now. seems like there should be a relatively easy "plug and play" way of putting something in there?

Cheers!

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Those inner lights were used for flash-to-pass halogen high beam bulbs and only operational when the main head lights are switched off.