Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    99 9-3 9-5

Question Piston replacement

in a 2001 9-5 2.3. The car had a clogged oil strainer and this resulted in a broken piston.
    I readed in the german saab scene forums that the pistons from the earlier 9000 models
    will fit in the block of the 9-5. But it's hard to find quality pistons on the free market ,
    except i go again to an official dealer whose offered me one piston for an expensive sum.

To note that i prefer cast iron pistons prior to forged pistons, whose also need new rods.

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    HI Sphinx, I'm guessing that there may be other damage to bearings as well. Check out my '03 project thread for some pictures .
    I've heard that the 9000 block will transplant into the 9-5 using the 9-5 head. I'm not sure what the junkyard, err, breaker (?) , situation is in Austria though or if they sell used engines or parts. If you can find a 9000 turbo 2.3 block, it's much less likely to be sludged than a 9-5 engine.
    If you know for sure the rest of the engine is OK, can you source used pistons anywhere locally?

The place I use for many parts in the US lists pistons at ~$250 each, definitely not inexpensive.
    http://www.eeuroparts.com/Cars/SAAB/1860/2003-9-5-Linear-2-3L-4-Cyl-16-Valve-Turbo/11/Engine/#enginemechanical/1/

Saab(s)
    99 9-3 9-5

Wink

No, i removed the oil pan and all the bearings. There was only one from the conrod a little bit scratched.
    Used pistons are a bad choice bc any engine does become thru their usage
    a different wear, and from 150'000 KM on the bore can become a bit oval.
    What is in the character of reciprocating piston engines.
    (9-5 engines had thru their life two models of pistons, one with a straight and one with
    a x-formed piston crown (said the WIS). The make of them is infused in its inner side)

As long as the piston bore does not have grooves and their x-diameters is within spec
    i not make that work and change the whole engine. That's a huge work where 2 experienced
    techs need just a day - or a bit more. We have actually plenty of used and new engines
    available but with another from a unknown former owner its always a bit of a risk then
    who knows how they treated and how they serviced it. Well, that is our painstaking.
    And that is good so!

But thanks as well for the tip.
    Last edited by Sphinx; 22 December 2015 at 20:01.

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Very good points about maintenance by previous owners, as I've found out!
    I'm getting the impression that GOOD, well maintained used 9-5 engines are difficult to find. People who take care of their Saabs tend to keep them, and the poorly maintained ones are the ones that end up for sale, or show up in the junk yards.
    That's good news that your failure was isolated though! In that case, I think your approach to change only the bad piston would certainly be the best and most cost-effective fix.