Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Wayne Ball

Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 Turbo 4 Premium, 2003 9-5 Linear, 1989 900 Turbo Convertible

2011 9-5 won't crank after replacing the battery

Just checking here to see if anyone else is out there with some insight. My 2011 Turbo Premium was running fine. I pull into a parking lot, then go to leave and it won't start. No messages, no console display. I did attempt to jump start it, but was unable to crank it and never got full illumination on the display. First time I've seen a battery go from working at full voltage to 4.5VDC. It's the original battery, 5 years old, must be shorted out/busted up inside. Guess I should have anticipated replacing it this winter. After replacing the battery, I get the full display and other electrical function back. However, I press the keyless ignition start button and the display flashes blank for an instant, with no attempt to start. Is there something that has to be reset with a service monitor?

Does anyone else have problem with the auto transmission Park interlock sensor? I know it's been an issue on earlier cars and that sometimes I have to press farther forward from Park to "more Park" to clear the interlock. Does anyone know if the interlock clears in neutral to start? Have not researched the owners manual to see what it takes to release the interlock and move the shift lever, will ask about that too. I bought an ebay service manual for the car. It's on disc, and installs an Oracle VM guest to run the manual. I have not been impressed with the content at all, so I'll ask if anyone has found a manual they have found useful.

Thanks,
    Herrball
    Greeley, CO

Wayne Ball

Saab(s)
    2011 9-5 Turbo 4 Premium, 2003 9-5 Linear, 1989 900 Turbo Convertible
    The next installment on this problem is that the new battery was dead when I went back to dig deeper. Completely discharged. Still looking for suggestions, but I guess I'll start pulling fuses and look for current draw.

Herrball