Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    1992 900s Convertible

900 suddenly not starting

Suddenly my 92 convertible is not starting. It doesn't even attempt to turn over - I turn the key and nothing. I thought it was the battery so I had that tested and confirmed good. I checked the fuse and it is good. I also hear both the relay in the fusebox and the relay under the back seat click when turning the key to start. If I bypass the ignition system by connecting the power directly to the starter, I can get the starter to spin, something I do not hear when turning the ignition so I don't believe it's the starter.

The only thing I haven't done is get a friend to try to start the car while connecting my multi-meter to the ignition wire to see if power is getting to the starter. I suspect it won't so I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas as to the cause. Even though I hear the relays click, can one of them be bad?

I have been driving the car on a regular basis, went out to start it one day after it had been sitting for a couple days and this happened.

Saab(s)
    1992 900s Convertible
    Everything else about the power appears to work ok. All the dash board lights, fan, interior lights, radio, etc...

Sam Carlson
    Saab(s)
    '90 900 LPT with a flat-nose conversion
    You can start by checking the ground wires from the engine to the body. Sometimes these can corrode and cause problems. Power from the ignition switch in the 92 convertible should go via a relay controlled by the burglar alarm to the starter solenoid. Maybe the alarm is messing with things?

That said, when you tested the starter, did you use the solenoid? Or did you just connect directly to the post with the braided cable going directly into the starter?
    Ask me a question about your c900! I promise I either can answer it or know someone who can