Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Tom

Saab(s)
    1999 9-3 convertable

Question Blue tooth to a factory 1999 9-3 radio

I just bought a 1999 Saab 9-3. Law enforcement in my area are strict about the cell phone hands free law. I’m considering replacing the factory radio with one that has a blue tooth. But I thought I would ask the forum if there is a way to get the factory radio to work with a new cell phone first. The owner’s manual says connecting a phone is a dealer option.
    Does anyone know how I would go about connecting an iPhone to my old Saab's radio?
    ~ Tom

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    96 Saab 900 SE Turbo automatic 2.0
    No I don't but I'm going to try as well. I have a 96 Saab 900 SE Turbo hatchback and I want to keep it stock , therefore as Iong as it has ob2_there is no reason why you can't connect Bluetooth to any 96 and newer auto. You need the adapter that plugs into your ob2_. I'm going to use an android Galaxy 6 with miracast. There is an app in play store that also helps. Good luck !

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    1997 900 SE Talladega, 2000 9-5 Aero wagon
    Handsfree Bluetooth is completely different than Bluetooth OBD adapters. Those are only so you can read diagnostic codes. You can't connect a handsfree device that way.

I used to have a Parrot CK3000 handsfree kit connected to my NG900's stock stereo. It uses the same ISO connectors that the factory radio uses, and connects in between the radio and the stock wiring harness. There's just a small control panel with two buttons and a knob, and it uses the car's speakers. The only wiring involved is running a wire for the microphone. It worked beautifully, and when I replaced the stereo with an aftermarket one, I gave it to my dad to use in his Smart Car. It works great there, too.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the info , WiFi or IP ?

Saab(s)
    1997 900 SE Talladega, 2000 9-5 Aero wagon
    The Parrot uses Bluetooth.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I understand that , my mobile G6 has Bluetooth also and I use wireless a headset so I am hands free also but in the wilds of Mi. We lose service at times with our Internet provider. WiFi is a bonus when that happens.

Saab(s)
    1998 900 SE Convertible - Automatic
    Bought an ION Bluetooth cassette adapter off of ebay for $22 - works great for music and phone

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Great idea , maybe I will look into that thanks...

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Well my 96 is getting old but I keep up with most things as they come. I live in extreme harsh climate here in Michigan and that's one reason I bought the Saab. My radio not sounding good at all . Removed floor panel and amp was intact .. Removed door panel and saw speakers were blown out . I presume these are sub woofers ? Any input would be appreciated.

Saab(s)
    1999 9-3 Base
    One option is to purchase the Bluetooth recently released version of the saabaux (see http://www.saabaux.com). I can't vouch for quality and it's certainly one of the more expensive routes (I think around $200), but it is plug and play - super easy installation. It basically hijacks the cd changer connection.

You could also buy the 1/8" line in version of it and then use a Bluetooth adapter like this: http://www.amazon.com/recommend-iCle...48fd051332e003

That is the one that The Wirecutter recommends but there are other products that do the same thing. If you have any sort of aux in, you can use one of those pretty easily.

Cheers!
    SaabStutz