Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi 2.3t
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Hi billw, I never did try to get the steering wheel controls to work with the Kenwood. But you should be able to I believe others have done it.

I am used to using the stereo touch screen now and would rather save the $100 or so!
    Thanks, aeronaut.
    I purchased a retrofit kit from Incartec which included the steering wheel control adaptor. I didn't want to commit to a major new head unit purchase without trying it first so I found a used Kenwood double din stereo with Bluetooth but no screen (DPX504BT) for $60. I confirmed that the wiring is all good with a test in the car. Even the steering wheel controls worked which I was skeptical of. The plan is to try this out in the car for a while to confirm that I like it and then I can choose a newer Kenwood unit with touchscreen and all the latest tech, including back up camera, Android Auto, etc.

With the wiring all good, my problem now is how to get the unit physically installed. It seems like I have all the parts you (aeronaut) had (face plate, double din cage, etc.) but I can't see how to firmly attach the cage to the opening in the car? The opening looks identical to the pics you provided of your car. Any help would be appreciated.

Below I've included some pics showing the various parts on the workbench.

The black box on the far left is the steering wheel control adaptor. The other black box is the adaptor to reduce speaker volume (and is adjustable) as the Kenwood speaker outputs are connected to the Saab's original amp and the Kenwood pre-outs are not used. Not the best from an audiophile perspective and I questioned Incartec on this. They said this is their preferred solution for the Saab. Certainly an easier solution for me and on initial testing sounds fine. I can modify it some time later to use the pre-outs if I think that's needed.

Name:  pic6.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  63.7 KB

Below are the unit and the cage.

Name:  pic7.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  50.4 KBName:  pic8.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  52.3 KBName:  pic9.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  56.8 KB

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 Sportcombi 2.3t
    I reread aeronaut's original post (for about the 10th time!) and finally saw the instructions for attaching the cage to the new face plate. Got mine installed and it looks good and works well.

I'm now trying to find a decent used Kenwood touch screen head unit with Android Auto and backup cam capability to replace the cheap, basic Kenwood that I used as a test.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    91 SPG, 97 9kCS(E), 02 9^5 linear
    I used this tutorial to put a single din head unit in my 2008 model. Mine had NAV and the plugs are different from the non-NAV head unit. Luckily, incartech has a similar harness (not cheap) that works for the NAV head unit. I could find no other option. It seems that the plugs on the back of NAV unit are not common to any other car ever made.
    I cut off the DIN plugs and soldered/heat shrunk the connections to the Pioneer head unit. Plugged it in and everything just worked. Including steering wheel controls. This kit also uses the speaker outs instead of the pre-outs. I just used it 'as is' for now. I have some ground loop isolators and may switch to these in the future. I also have a DRV134 adapter to do it properly if I get initiative. Thought I'd post this here in case anyone else tries this in a NAV equipped 9-5.

Saab(s)
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3t Wagon HO Manual
    Cool Thread !! I have a quick question, I installed a Kenwood DNX 893S head unit, using all the same components that the OP is using in this thread. I even installed, two, Ground Loop Isolators. Anyway, despite trying every possible solution, 90% of the power of the head unit is going to the front speakers and a very small fraction, maybe 10% is going to the rear speakers. Not sure what's going on, I removed the Ground Loop isolator for the rear speakers thinking that part might be defective, but no luck. I've tweaked everything I can think of tweaking with the head unit, including resetting it factory fresh condition. It's frustrating, I want the car to be filled with sound, but getting no joy from the rear door or rear hatch speakers. Anyone else experience this issue? My Ride: 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon 2.3T Manual
    2003 Saab 9-5 Aero B235R
    Sport Wagon 2.3T HO Manual
    140,627 Miles

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    Make sure the polarity is correct on the rear speakers. There will be a lack of bass if the polarity is reversed.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 SportCombi 2.3t
    Possibly a dumb/ignorant question but will these adapters from InCarTec work on a US car/US stereo? I'm not a big car audio person, but I'd really like to upgrade the stereo in my '06 to something a little more modern and retire my ancient CD case.