I'm having a left headlight problem in my 2006 9-3 2.0T, and I've read through various threads that seem related, but haven't located a solution. In my case, the problem is intermittent, so many of the discussions don't apply.

Left normal headlight (the HID xenon w/ D2S bulb) died two months back. High beams and fog lights work fine. I ordered two new bulbs (so I'd have an extra too), but neither worked. I tried swapping left and right bulbs to check them, and all bulbs lit up on the right side so they were still good. I also swapped left and right ignitors (I believe that's the small silver cube part on the end of the bulbs), and they were all still functional on the right side.

Then, after a few weeks before I could get it to a shop, it came back on out of nowhere. Now it works 80% of the time, but sometimes will fail (and give the SID message as such). Has all been during Illinois winter time, so no major climate differences. I'd like to find the solution so I don't have to worry about it.

All fuses referenced look good (unless there are other relevant fuses that I haven't checked). Seems like the soldering fix on the relay on the 9-5 doesn't apply to my 9-3. I can't find other ideas on the forum thus far that would apply here. Any ideas before I have to drive a good distance and pay for a repair? (and even if I do, I'd at least like to know what I should ask for to have repaired so it's not some expensive 'fix everything' estimate).

Many thanks in advance.