Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles

2000 Viggen Convertible

Silver 2000 Viggen 'vert with Black interior

Purchased Sept 2013

Third adult owner and one corporate owner since new

Mileage at purchase ~66,000 : Mileage Spring 2016 ~72,000

Enhancements since purchase:
    • Steering Rack Brace
    • Larger diameter rear ARB
    • Urethane transmission mount
    • Wind Blocker screen and grommets for its fitting
    • 17-inch 9-3SS Aero wheels (bought used, battered and bruised, then refinished)
    • Continental Extreme Contact DW tires in original equipment size
    • Many, many, many deferred maintenance items

Name:  100_4412.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  48.7 KB Name:  100_4413.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  49.9 KBName:  100_4341.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  34.8 KBName:  100_4417.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  47.3 KBName:  100_4415.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  48.9 KBName:  100_4416.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  48.8 KBName:  Carlisle photo by Thor.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  48.9 KB
    Last edited by MI-Roger; 06 February 2016 at 23:36.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 Viggen convertible, 00 Viggen convertible, 99 Viggen Coupe
    nice car, not seen a silver Viggen yet. any engine mods?
    Happy driving and polishing

Roger Cook
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-5 Aero, 2006 9-3SC 2.0T, 2000 Viggen 'vert, SAAB Quantum, 2000 9-5 retired at 318K miles
    Silver was the second most common color for the 2000 model year convertibles here in the States; Black, then Silver (197), then Lightning Blue, and finally Monte Carlo Yellow (only 18 of these and I almost snagged one!). No engine mods yet other than installation of the latest PCV system kit. I have a dilemma regarding making modifications to this car. Should I keep it completely stock? Add a couple features that make it better (larger intercooler and 'free air' filter kit)? Or should I just blow caution to the wind and do a full 3-inch exhaust system and revised engine programming?

You have a pair of real nice cars too!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 Viggen convertible, 00 Viggen convertible, 99 Viggen Coupe
    same dilemma! Lightening Blue one is stock everything - except LSD (wasted on this car!). Black convertible is only dropped slightly (far better handling, but every so slightly harsher ride). I think the convertibles are best staying stock, due to all the body flex and stress. They are really nice to cruise around town. My 3rd Viggen a black coupe has slight modifications, larger intercooler , lowered and remapped and is much quicker, I really can feel the difference in body stiffness. I tend to drive this faster, and did intend on making this into a road track car, but like you my thoughts waiver between original (ish) and modifying. I also went stupid and purchased a hot Aero with Viggen body kit! this has a hybrid motor large intercooler, 3" full exhaust system , koni adjustable, etc, etc. This car is very quick and always seems to be saying to me go faster even at 130 mph and still plenty left in the motor, this is my toy at the moment, but... Nothing like cruising in an original Viggen, that you know is 'original' and nobody can buy! When I park up it is nice to know when a Saab person stops and looks at the car you can say "yes, this is a 'real' Viggen"
    On the front of modifications, for looks it's great, but you will be tempted to go a little faster. where do you stop!!!!! intercooler, 3" exhaust, then shocks and lowering to match, bigger intercooler and exhaust, to perform you will need to remap and should have larger intake pipes, what about a larger turbo, steering rack brace, this now becomes an expensive Viggen that goes really quick and gets you speeding fines!
    Having 3 different Viggens and a Modified Aero coupe, I will personally stay almost stock versions and make them mint. I suggest, if i may, lower suspension, good shocks, steering brace rack, new bushers, have seats refurbished, top down air deflector and change things that can be changed back to original easily - wheels, sound system (original is fine for me!). Subtlety is 'Class'
    Keep in contact and go luck