Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Owner
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero

Alternator

I believe I will have to make the unpleasantly expensive purchase of a new alternator soon. Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? Also any input on reman alternators would be greatly appreciated because that's about all I'm finding on eBay. Saab Parts USA does not have one in stock (new) for the V6.

Dave
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2001 93 2.0Ltr HOT Aero coupe & 2011 1.9TTiD Aero saloon
    Hi
    Are you sure it's the alternator that's at fault. A quick check with a multi-meter could confirm it.
    With the engine off, read the voltage across the battery terminals. You will be getting a reading around 12.7volts.
    Then with the engine running and ideally just over 1,200 rpm, check the voltage again. You should be able to see a
    voltage increase anywhere up to 14.9volts. The voltage increase is a good indication of a charge being given and the alternator doing what it does.
    It's the time of year that batteries get a battering. If your doing short journeys or even the same journeys that you do all the time.
    It's the time of year that you'll probably have your lights on more, pop the rear de-mist on, or heated seats and blower motor on high to clear the screen etc. This all puts extra demand on the battery that the alternator cannot replace in a short period of time. Perhaps the battery has some weak cells. Cold weather can distort the insides of battery's. Some auto stores will test your battery for free. A new battery is less expensive too.
    Hope this helps
    Dave.

Saab Owner
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
    Hello, Dave.
    I'm not entirely sure the alternator is at fault or not. I haven't had the chance to have it or the battery tested. The car is now my secondary driver and I have put a lot of time, money, and effort in my truck I recently bought. All I know is I have had the battery for less than a year and it died on me in early January as a result of me leaving the overhead light on at work one day. At least that's what I think lead to it not working. I charged the battery at home and everything seemed to be fine. It started right up and drove fine a few starts after the charge. One day in the same week, I went to drive it again and noticed a weak crank and the car was acting very strange. Messages appeared on the SID for a split second and disappeared before I was able to read them. I took the car around the block to see if maybe running it would alleviate the problem. During this short drive, the radio screen and SID screen cut completely off and back on again a few seconds later on its own. Something I've never seen before. I quickly brought the car back home and it hasn't started since. After some elimination processes, I just am assuming the alternator is the problem. I just haven't confirmed that suspicion yet.

I definitely understand what you are saying about the weather, but I live in South Mississippi and we have had a very mild winter to say the least. I haven't had much reason to put too much additional strain on the battery. So I don't know how much of a contributing factor that would be.