Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 vector auto estate 2005

battery flat or not,

hi,
    2005 2.0t auto vector estate 73,000.
    driving all is well at night, stop for an hour, return, engine turns but fails to start, jump leads and starts, all seems fine. battery charged at home then few days later same thing happens but driven in daylight. showing that alternator is delivering charge, so new battery fitted, and away it went, drove 3 miles at night, parked and guess what, no start again, ideas please.
    i appreciate new batteries dont come fully charged but surely shouldnt have behaved like that. it just seems it needs that extra battery boost on start up, oh yeah, no warning lights coming on and no fault codes reg either.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    If the engine turns over fine, it doesn't seem like the battery is the problem. First guess with this kind of starting problem is the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor. There are a few threads about this so do a search and see what you'll find.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5 vector auto estate 2005
    thanks for info, have ordered a sensor today.
    after the messing about last night thought would try it today, had fault codes 1312 and 1334 up, cleared them, tried again and guess what, all seems fine in the house, left it ticking over etc for an hour, then through today being trying it, and again all seems fine, no lights appearing and runs and revs sweet.
    does anyone think it could have just thrown a brain fart with old battery and new one needed fully charging in situ ??.
    i appreciate several say dic failing but it was just funny with jump leads or new battery its fine.
    if it is dic, best place to get one would where ???????.
    thanks for reading guys, help much appreciated

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5 S Wagon-01
    Reads a lot like what my car was doing. Cps change was not complicated nor expensive so I'd go for that first.