Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi

sport combi performance exhaust

I'm having difficulty finding a good exhaust for my wagon.
    Any thoughts?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    The BSR exhaust has a great review by aeronaut and would be my choice when mine needs replacement.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=32028

Saab(s)
    '11 9-4X, '07 9-5 Combi, '99 Viggen, '88 900t, '87 ASFT, '85 SPG, '72 96
    I have the BSR dual exhaust, when it begins to show signs of age I will replace bits and remove the resonator. It is kinda quiet for my tastes.

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi
    Thanks guys - BSR looks like the way to go. With today's exchange rate, it's actually cheaper (including shipping) to buy direct from BSR Sweden than from GenuineSaab.com here in the US.

My current exhaust isn't too bad yet, I think it has a pinhole somewhere. The ppffffffffttt sound doesn't bother me as much as the smell when sitting.

I just scored some Castrol Edge full synthetic 0 W30 oil at Advace Auto Parts at half price since they are no longer selling it. I don't know if this is the situation everywhere, but I bought all they had (2 cases).

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 95 AERO
    0-40W Euro blend Mobile 1 is only $25 a gallon at Wal-Mart.

I'm going for this exhaust down the line...
    https://www.brewcityboost.com/produc...ith-racecat-5/
    Bit more expensive though, but it's 3" and full turbo-back.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 95 AERO
    Crap, didn't see the sportcombi is dual. Nevermind on that then.

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    Sport Combi is not a dual exhaust unless that changed for the 08 Aero
    Wrong oil. Use 0-40 Mobil I
    Wal Mart had the 5 quart jug for 25.00

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi
    Mike - thats a great price for Mobil 1 0W-40, I hope you checked the jug container which needs to state 'European Car Formula'. I'm a real stickler for following all the manufacturer's recommendations (particularly oil - your engine's life blood), and on page 260, the manual states:

All gasoline engines - Fully synthetic engine oil - approved
    against the GM-LL-A025 specification - with viscosity
    SAE 0W-30 or SAE 0W-40.
    Oil used at, or in-between, service must be approved against the
    engineĀ“s specified classification to render possible the usage of
    Saab Automobile AB specified service intervals.
    For optimum performance Saab recommends the use of Saab
    Long Life Turbo Oil 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car formula,
    but other oils approved against the above specification
    and with proper SAE viscosity 0W-30 or 0W-40 may also be
    used.

Castrol OW-30 in all cases, is the European formula. It used to be produced exclusively in Germany, and now in Belgium to meet demand. I personally haven't used Mobil 1 due to a graphic (online) article from an independant (Australian?) lab that tested the full synthetic oils for friction, and the Mobil 1 exhibited a considerable anount of metal gauling under load. I can probably find the article, I have to dig through my old Triumph posts under 'which oil is best'? Meanwhile, here is some info I found regarding Castrol 0W-30:

Castrol EDGE 0w-30 SPT Synthetic Motor Oil has been loved and raved about by European car owners for a decade now. It is one of Castrol's premier products in that it meets so many tough European specifications including Mercedes-Benz 229.5, BMW LL-01, VW 505.00, and VW 502.00.

These specifications all speak to the quality of the product. In particular, Mercedes-Benz 229.5 (used in the majority of gasoline engine Mercedes cars the past decade) is particularly tough to meet.

The product has often been referred to as German Castrol because for many years it was produced in Germany. Now, you may still find it made in Germany, but some cases are showing up from Belgium. Rest assured, it is still the high quality product meeting the tough European specifications no matter where it is produced.

The low pour point of this product, approximately -50 Degree Centigrade suggests it has a significant percentage of Group IV Synthetic base stock in its formulation. Group III base stock is also high quality today, but the fact remains that Castrol is putting very high quality ingredients into this premier product. Of course, the oil companies today never tell us the exact formulation, so we can only take best guesses. Nevertheless, it is clear that it is a high quality product no matter what base stock is used because it does officially meet the tough European specifications listed on the bottle.

When you have a European vehicle and you use a motor oil that meets the manufacturer specifications, you can feel comfortable going to the full maintenance interval recommended by your manufacturer under normal conditions.

This is a highly recommended product. Depending on price and your personal preferences, Mobil 1 0w-40 is another terrific option that meets the same specifications as well as a few additional ones.

Note - This product seems similar to Castrol's new 0w-40 product. One difference though is that Porsche requires a 40 weight, so the 0w-40 product meets Porsche specification while this 0w-30 product does not.

Last edited by docman; 15 February 2016 at 03:25.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by docman View Post
    Castrol OW-30 in all cases, is the European formula.
    It is European formula when it shows A3/B4 or A3/B3 in the specifications on the bottle. That's the only spec I go buy when buying oil for my Saab 9-5.

I use the 0W-40 as it is matches Mobil 1 that was recommended for our Saabs.

Advanced Auto often has oil change specials and you can currently get 5 quarts Edge + oil filter for $30. Amazon has it for $25 for a 5-quart jug. http://amzn.to/1PxgdWK

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi
    I found the oil test link. Strangely Castrol Edge wasn't included???

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

This article convinced me to run Royal Purple in my Triumph. Like my similar vintage Lotus, the factory recommends 20W-50. Some forum members suggested that running a synthetic (vs dino oil) in old cars (requiring high zinc - ZDDP) would cause leaks. It's been over a year and haven't noticed any (yet).
    Last edited by docman; 15 February 2016 at 03:20.