Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Keith
    Keith
    Saab(s)
    2000 saab 9.3, 2 litre

Convertible hood not going down all the way

Well, I'm sure this subject has been posted many times before as it seems to be a very common problem on a year 2000 9-3 convertible. In fact on many models and years, and it looks like a weak point that has so many possible causes. When I bought the car a few months ago in a private sale, the roof worked perfectly. It was winter, so didn't bother to drop the roof at that time, but when I did try to drop it, it got half way, as described by many others with a similar complaint. By doing a bit of 'fiddling here and there', usually by pushing or pulling, I could get it to work, but a couple of weeks ago the hood was being lowered, or opened, and stopped just short of completing the operation, and then stopped and the pump would not work for up or down. I love this car so much, and really want to get a full summer driving it around with the hood down, as I have reason to believe it will probably be my last summer. Any help will be gratefully accepted, and if a Saab mechanic can let something out of the bag, by way of assistance, it would be most welcome. Cheers.
    Last edited by nordwulf; 19 February 2016 at 14:10. Reason: adjusted thread title

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible
    Have you checked the oil level in the tank thats attached to the pump?

Keith
    Keith
    Saab(s)
    2000 saab 9.3, 2 litre
    Hi, sorry about delay, but not yet used to the program. I typed a reply, but not sure you would have got it. Oil level is good, and there are no visible leaks in the system. I might have to re-post it perhaps.

SAAB since 1985
    Saab(s)
    9-5 2.3t ARC Estate; 9-3 SE Convertible.
    My newly acquired MY 2000 9-3 Convertible does the exact same thing. I feel your pain..! Considering that it seems to be a common problem, I'm surprised there's no consensus on what the cause is. I console myself with the thought that it would be worse if the damn thing refused to close properly...!

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    You need to check the micro switches under the hood cover. Make sure the little metal levers on them are not bent out of shape.

SAAB since 1985
    Saab(s)
    Thanks Geoff, I'll try that. How many microswitches are there to look for?

Thorfinn

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    One or two either side I think. It's been awhile.

Keith
    Keith
    Saab(s)
    2000 saab 9.3, 2 litre
    Extra frustrating for me as I am a retired electrician, which seems to be the reverse to car electrics, so more of a hindrance really. I am also a retired mechanical engineer founded on my apprenticeship as a tool-maker. That's some years behind me now, but the ability to problem shoot ends when in comes down to problems like this, because there seems to be a multitude of possible causes for similar reported faults, as in one size doesn't fit all.

Saab doesn't really come to the party on this either, and I can tell you that if you take it to a Saab Dealer, it will cost you an arm and a leg tor half hours work maximum because they know what to do.

Did you find any sort of a solution to your problem, as any clue might help. I will do likewise. Where abouts do you live? It's summer here in Western Australia and beautiful weather for poodling around in an open top Saab. I wish!!!

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    Well if you where in cold northern England I could stick my tech 2 on it.

SAAB since 1985
    Saab(s)
    Equally miserable today here in Cornwall...I'll leave off searching for microswitches until it stops bleddy raining! Geoff, I have newly-acquired OBD2 reader, but I suppose it needs the added sophistication of a proper Tech-2 to diagnose roof problems?