Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 SE hatchback

Axle grinding noise while making left turns 2002 9-3 SE Hatchback

I recently developed a grinding noise when making a some left turns. I investigated and took the attached picture it shows a lower stabilizer arm grinding against the axle on some left turns which makes me think something must be loose, but everything is tight. Also as you see the axle has collar which the passenger side does not. What could cause this lower stabilizer arm to grind against it? Could it be the drivers side axle was mended with a collar in its history?

I have owned this car for 1 month love it and I'm learning about the Saab everyday.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 SE hatchback
    Update: I noticed taking a left turn lightly I don't get the grinding noise. If I take more moderate turn which causes slight body roll or have more people the car I get the grinding noise. This leads me to believe I need to replace the front struts and rear shocks to hold the suspension on turns without the body roll I am experiencing.

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible
    Could also be engine mounts.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 SE hatchback
    Thank you for your reply. The engine mounts were changed last year by the previous owner. So am am planning on a DIY job in a couple week. Right now to manufactures have rebates on Rock Auto for (2) struts and (2) shocks, $40 off KYB and $75 off Monroe.

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3
    Perhaps it is just the angle of the photo, but it looks like the nut is not centered on the sway bar link. Could this possibly be a bad link? The only other thing I ~think~ could cause this dimension to change is a ball joint that it about to pop out of its socket, and nothing would ruin you day quicker. Perhaps a jack and a quick wiggle is in order.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Saab 9-3 SE hatchback
    I ended up not changing the shocks as I found that the sway bar end link was rusted and no longer attached holding it in place. The sway bar was causing the grinding. Now the car drives fine.
    Name:  Saab9-3_Sawy Bar link.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  16.6 KB