Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero Wagon

Exclamation Lost? Coolant leak/ misfire/ what's going on!!

Ok so I'm pretty much at a lose at the moment with my car. I'm currently experiencing a lose in coolant and a misfire on random cold startups. The coolant leak and misfire will happen together. I'll start the car it will misfire for a few seconds then I'll have smoke from coolant burning off the exhaust manifold/ turbo area. After that everything will run smoothly.

Took the car to my garage and the tested for a head gasket leak. The car has no signs of coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. They did the coolant head gasket test and that passed. Then said the misfire may be due to lose spark plugs. As for the coolant leak nothing could be seen.

So on Saturday the car did it again. This time leaving a puddle of coolant on my garage floor. Not sure if it just leaked over night or came out when I started the car. Again all I can see I'd coolant burning off the turbo and manifold.

I did find a small leak on the side of the motor under the coolant hose that is next to the coolant temp sensor. I was also told on a different forum it may be the water pump. But if that was the case would it not leak all the time? And would a leak from the water pump be able to spray on top of the turbo? It just doesn't seem likely to me.

Lim thinking it may be one of the steel lines behind the manifold but at the same time there are no signs of leakage.

Now i also have set up cameras at the motor so when it starts up I can see hopefully something but it starts up fine everytime I have them setup.

This is is driving me nuts right now and I really don't want to waste money replacing things that's are not needed. I did order some uv detection dye and will run that through my coolant when I get it. Hopefully something will show up. But until then does anyone have and idea on what it may be?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Did you check the coolant lines that connect to the turbo?

I think the coolant leak and misfiring are unrelated. Did you check for any OBD codes? There may be codes stored, even when the check engine light is not on.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulf View Post
    Did you check the coolant lines that connect to the turbo?

I think the coolant leak and misfiring are unrelated. Did you check for any OBD codes? There may be codes stored, even when the check engine light is not on.

The he only code I have is from the open SID and that is for the misfire in cylidar 4. I did notice there is a crack in my DIC between 3 and 4. Could that be causing the misfire. Or would I get a code for the DIC?

as for the turbo lines I do suspect the inlet line to the turbo to be the cause but I have not seen any leakage from it when the car is not running.

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    I had a few leaks before and i finally fixed all of it.

1) Water pump - traced it from the dried coolant stains. Also had a coolant smell when the car was hot
    2) Thermostat cover - Thermostat seal was shot. A new seal fixed that
    3) Expansion tank return nipple - it was cracked and coolant was leaking from there. Changed to a new tank
    4) radiator end tanks - this started as a small leak but blew up one day when i drove the car hard. had to get a tow to the workshop to replace the radiator
    5) coolant bypass valve hoses - it was all dried up and cracked. Leaking slowly. Saw the stains on the floor near the firewall.

I think there is a high chance your waterpump. I think it can be traced/seen clearly from under the car as well.

des

p.s: Auto save saved me again! Awesome feature of this site!