Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD

Cheap repair

For my wife's 2009 9-3 XWD the front driver's side window switch (part# 12772024) has worn at the front edge probably due to her fingernails. After some time and obtaining the replacement part but not installing it, I noticed the window switch on my 2008 9-3 was also beginning to wear. So, I have taken a black Sharpie fine point permanent marker and coated the exposed white plastic with the black marker. The door switch is constantly shaded by the door and I can't tell the difference unless I get a flashlight out and closely inspect the switch. Beats $150.00 for the part and the cost of installation. I may still replace the switch in the future, but not in both cars. Thought you would like to know.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD
    So the black Sharpie marker wears off with time and use. Black Bic Mark it permanent marker covers better and lasts longer. I just inspected the single rubbed edge in my 9-3 with a flashlight and under the bright light I can tell that the black plastic edge has been touch-upped. In natural light or with the door closed and shaded light I can't tell the difference between the touch-upped edge and the rest of the switches. The wear is from touching the switch with my fingertip and not from fingernail scratches.
    Last edited by 100%Saab; 28 October 2017 at 19:55. Reason: typo