Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Aero Also owned 71 and 75 Saab 99s

Shift boot removal 2006 9-3 Aero 6 speed

Good morning,

I am trying to replace the shift boot on my 9-3 and the shift knob does not seem interested in being removed. I have applied some force to it but without success and I am concerned about causing damage. Any removal tips or tricks would be appreciated. I have a 2006 9-3 Aero with a six speed manual transmission.

Thanks!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc SW; 2008 9-3 Aero SW
    Well - that's too bad. My earlier post was apparently unsuccessful. Maybe this forum does not accept posts with links outside the forum. So I won't link you to the actual workshop information system procedure.
    The official procedure to remove the shift knob requires a little destruction for removal. The shift knob is pressed and glued to the shifter. First pop the cover off the top (the plastic piece with shift pattern). Then drill a 4mm hole through the knob so that it bottoms out at the shifter shaft. Finally you thread a 5.5M x 25mm long self threading screw until it forces the know off. I would think a 1/8" drill and #8 sheet metal screw would also work.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Aero Also owned 71 and 75 Saab 99s

Success!

Quote Originally Posted by davmac View Post
    Well - that's too bad. My earlier post was apparently unsuccessful. Maybe this forum does not accept posts with links outside the forum. So I won't link you to the actual workshop information system procedure.
    The official procedure to remove the shift knob requires a little destruction for removal. The shift knob is pressed and glued to the shifter. First pop the cover off the top (the plastic piece with shift pattern). Then drill a 4mm hole through the knob so that it bottoms out at the shifter shaft. Finally you thread a 5.5M x 25mm long self threading screw until it forces the know off. I would think a 1/8" drill and #8 sheet metal screw would also work.
    The screw method finally popped the shift knob loose and it was no worse for the wear. Some further suggestions for DIY. The boot is stapled onto a white plastic frame. If you don't have some sort of magic stapler that can go through an 1/8 inch of plastic and leather try the following. Get a very small drill bit 1/32 ish and after marking where the staple will pierce the leather, drill through the leather and plastic. Then insert the staple and bend over ends with a needle nose pliers. The instructions for actually removing and installing the boot are very helpful from this website to visualize the process: http://www.redlinegoods.com/Saab930307install.php

It helps to explain how to fasten the boot onto the shift column at the top with good illustrations.

Thanks again for everyone's help. I've attached some pictures of the finished product.
    Attached Images Attached Images