Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

How to replace rear hatch switch with standard AC Delco Part

The rear hatch with camera is not longer available, and the part without the back-up camera costs over $300 (part numbers are pictured) . . . so when the $12 switch that opens the door at the hatch goes bad it's nice to replace it by itself. I believe you could do this without removing the whole light -- although I did it that way. I found the part on Amazon but bought it at my local Chevy dealer because I wasn't sure it was the right part. Check out the pictures . . . the part was in stock so I'm sure it goes bad often -- you could easily remove the old one from outside and solder the two wires . . . then clip back in the new part.

Name:  Part number SAAB 9-4x.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  34.1 KBName:  Old new SAAB 9-4x.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  51.5 KBName:  SAAB 9-4x fit.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  44.0 KBName:  Door handle replaced SAAB 9-4x.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  49.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    '95 9000 Aero, '98 9000 CSE, '05 9-5, '11 9-4X
    Many thanks, Joel,

The wife's been complaining about that switch gone TU. I'll get one ordered next week.

jack vines

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-4x, 2008 9-3 Aero, had 2005 9-3 Arc, '93 9000CSE, '86 9000Turbo
    Thank you for this. Mine had stopped working for a bit, now its working again. This is good info to have should it stop working again.

how long did it take to remove the assembly, remove/replace the switch and put it all back together?

It took quite awhile to take the whole thing apart, particularly since I tried (unsuccessfully so far) to dry out and seal the lens against moisture leaks. It's no better now. For just replacing the switch, I definitely would recommend doing it without taking off the whole light. It should be easy to pop out (using the pictures I took to locate the clips), cut off the wires and reconnect. Talking off the rear inside plastic panel was not too bad but I was nervous, not wanting to add rattles by breaking any of the connections. The light panel comes off easier than it goes back on -- it's a tight fight and mine didn't go back on quite as well as I would have liked. It took a little force to slightly bend the light and I sure didn't want to break anything. If the rest of your light is OK, leave it on and just replace the switch.
    For taking out just the switch and replacing, I'd estimate about an hour with plenty of time for cleaning, wire stripping, getting out the solder gun and supplies and putting the new one back in -- you probably could do the whole thing in 15 minutes if you had all the parts and tools together.
    Joel