Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 93 Turbo

Oil leak on right front wheel well area, Source?

Hello,
    I am a new Saab owner on a used 2006 93. The car starts and runs great. I can't seem to find an oil leak on this vehicle. A recent front right wheel change revealed a large oil leak that I cannot find the source of. Does anyone know of a common reason why my wheel well area would be sprayed with oil?
    I have cleaned the area including the plastic wheel cover in the right front fender. I found what looked like a sludge of oil spray on the right inside part of the wheel cover. This would be facing the belt area of the engine. I looked over the boots on the axle and cannot find a cut anywhere. Everything else looks good. I also found oil spray all over the axle, brakes, right side of lower engine; just about the entire area.
    Any ideas??????

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible

Oil leak on right front wheel well area, Source?

Is it engine oil? Crankshaft oil seal could be leaking.
    Last edited by geoff 9-3; 06 April 2016 at 21:12.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc SW; 2008 9-3 Aero SW
    4 cylinder or V6? Once the oil is sprayed around it can be tough to guess the source. Clean things up and watch as it is running. It sounds like you may have a steady drip you could actually see. Front main seal (crankshaft) is a pretty good bet if the oil is all on the lower portion only. I replaced a crankshaft seal on a 9-5. The seal itself is pretty inexpensive and the job was not bad either. The challenge was removing the crank pulley - but there are several ways to do that.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc SW; 2008 9-3 Aero SW
    Probably the OP has moved on. However, I've had some recent experience with the 9-5 2.3 and would guess if this is the 4 cylinder the set up is similar. If you have a break in the oil separator system (kind of a fancy PCV system) you will get oil to spray around the back side and front (right side) of the engine bay. There are several vacuum lines and a plastic box that is attached for the PCV or oil separator system. It doesn't take much to end up with an oily mess.