Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Stephen
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Convertible

Question 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero 6 speed tranny fluid change

I'm trying to find the ATF required for the Aisin 6 speed for my aero convertible. its overdue for a tranny oil change and \i'm just taking out of hibernationin a couple of weeks. I know it's Saab part# 93 165 147 or Aisin AW-1 fluid, however neither seem to be available here in Ontario Canada. I've read here not to use a synthetic but only to use a mineral based fluid. ANy insight on this is appreciated, as well as a link to a video instruction on replacing the ATF on the 6 speed 9-3. Help appreciated.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc SW; 2008 9-3 Aero SW
    The official stuff is a GM part # 93165147. You should be able to get this from a GM dealer. Eeuroparts also sells this stuff. There is also a Ford transmission fluid: Ford Fluid XT-8-QAW Premium Automatic Transmission Fluid. The Ford ATF fluid is specifically for the Aisin Warner AWF 21 6 speed – so it should work great and is much less expensive ($13/quart on Amazon). The same Aisin tranny got various names for various applications.
    Just stay away from the “3309” fluids which are apparently good enough for the Aisin 5 speed auto, but not recommended for the 6 speed.
    Re: Drain and refill
    If your tranny is shifting good then assume it is currently full and just replace as much as you drain.
    I’d begin by trying to take the fill plug out first. It is on the top of the transmission between the turbo and battery. There is a documented procedure by an owner who filled the transmission through the vent tube – but that sounded messy and slow. The drain plug is pretty obvious under the car. Note that there is a level indicating tube in the center that requires you remove the smaller center bolt first before removing the entire drain plug.

Stephen
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Convertible
    Hi Davmac, this is all great news. I researched Aisin 6-speed and found a Valvoline oil recommended (non-3309) and it is specified by Valvoline for this transmission - it cost $8 US/quart and was available on the shelf when I was in Florida last week at Advance Discount Auto. Now on to the job. Is there a way to clearly identify the fill plug? There's not much room in the engine bay, perhaps I should start by removing the battery? any other advice? the advice on taking out the smaller center bolt first is appreciated.

thanks again, Vince

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    I've read some people have removed the battery and tray to increase their access to the fill plug. I'm sure that would help. I did manage to use a long extension and 1/2" universal drive with a breaker bar to loosen the fill plug (Torx T55). Just keep some downward pressure on the torx bit so it does not slip out or strip the plug. It was pretty fiddly because I could then completely loosen the fill plug but had to use a magnetic pick up tool to retrieve it. There was no way to get your hand and arm down there and the plug was not sticking to the torx bit. It was similar when reinstalling the fill plug, but then you could force the torx bit with some paper over it to hold the drain plug to it. You could probably also start threading the fill plug with the magnetic pick up.
    Some tips:
    - Start with a cold engine to avoid burns and so that the drained fluid and fill fluid are nearly the same temp
    - Be sure you have the necessary torx bits. T55 for the fill plug up top, I think T30 for the center level tube in the drain plug.
    - The larger portion of the drain plug requires a large hex key - 12mm metric
    - Filling requires a bit of tubing to attach to a funnel. Some 1/2" (OD) clear vinyl tubing attached to the end of a funnel was just able to be inserted into the fill hole

Stephen
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Convertible
    Hi Davmac, incredibly detailed update - greatly appreciated and I'll try to get at this on the weekend. thanks again, Vince

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    Good luck. If you are able to get the fill plug out then draining and refilling the transmission fluid is as easy or easier than an engine oil change.

Saab(s)
    9-3 turbo X
    I am in the process of changing the fluid on the transmission of my 9-3 turbo X Transmission TF-80SC. I have found multiple procedures but was wondering if you guys had actually follow a specific procedure that worked. Also found several on which they mentioned that you need to do this with the transmission at a given temperature. I actually started to drain the transmission and then had to quit that job and could not come back to it days later. How critical is it to perform a fluid change procedure with the transmission at ambient temperature?

Thanks

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    08 Vert Aero T2
    Quote Originally Posted by jpereira View Post
    I am in the process of changing the fluid on the transmission of my 9-3 turbo X Transmission TF-80SC. I have found multiple procedures but was wondering if you guys had actually follow a specific procedure that worked. Also found several on which they mentioned that you need to do this with the transmission at a given temperature. I actually started to drain the transmission and then had to quit that job and could not come back to it days later. How critical is it to perform a fluid change procedure with the transmission at ambient temperature?

Thanks
    The temperature comes into play to get the fluid level correct.
    If you drain and replace the exact quantity of fluid, you should be fine assuming the level was correct to begin with.