Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5

2002 9-5 Any help would be awesome!

Anyone had these issues before?

Have a 2002 9-5 (4 cyl). Over the past week we have seen the following issues.

- Started losing power – little engine power, lots of dash lights, engine jumps as a misfire, windows were slow, wipers barely worked, seats would not move
    - Changed the alternator (bad bearing) and put in a brand new battery.
    - Car started like a new one and ran great.
    - Drove it for about 50 miles and shut it off. Car was slow to start as if the battery was dying.
    - Car sat for about 1 hour and restarted.
    - Drove about 4-5 miles and car started losing power again – transmission didn’t want to shift, little engine power, radio would stay on, and door chime chimed with the key removed, slow windows ect again.
    - Car shut itself off.
    - Was finally able to get one code to show up – P1312 (related to the DI Module) which could explain the engine jumping, but the other issues???

- Got the car to start again and limp it home.

Anyone have any suggestions???

Saab(s)
    1983 900T, 1987 900S, 1988 SPG, 1999 93, 2000 Vig Coupe n 5dr, 2001 Vig Vert, 2002 93SE vert
    Sounds like you have a power drain...those symptoms really sound very similar to my battery/charging system death on another of my cars. I would first charge the battery and see if the car seems fine then. Secondly - have the battery checked at autozone on their inside battery check machine (their handheld one is not reliable) - also check the voltage across the battery terminals with car running - you should see 14 or so volts - if you don't your alternator (especially if rebuilt) may be no good. Keep in mind failure rates on rebuilt items run about 33%. That is by industry research....not my own...but my own says about 15% based on experience.

Start there.