Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2008 9-3SS, 2009 9-3XWD

Saab software 55574380, warm restart stalls and Maptun stage 1 upgrades

At 38,000 miles the Saab software on my 2008 9-3 SS was updated from version 55566778 to 55574380 to "Improve Fuel Trim Adapts and Avoid Engine Dip." This fixed a problem with my 9-3 where it stalled immediately with warm restarting after sitting for 15 to 45 minutes. If I put gas in the car and restarted within 5 minutes or stopped for one hour the 9-3 started fine. The hotter the weather the worse the problem was. I don't remember having problems after buying the car new. Service with changes in air filters, spark plugs, new batteries, and fuel additives do not seem to have much effect on the problem. The Saab(BRS) software fixes the problem completely.

So, I Maptun stage 1 the 9-3 and within 1 week the warm restart stalls return. I have updated the Maptun 1 software at least once without resolving the problem, but since I mainly use Macs it's difficult for me to get and install Windows software updates. Without knowing the Maptun updates are going to resolve the issue I have not done more than one Maptun update. For the stage 1, it goes on and stalls return, so it goes off. I get a new air filter and try the stage 1 and after the stalls return the stage 1 goes off and so on.

The stalling problem is worse than not having an extra 40 horsepower.

So, is there a hardware fix to this problem or since BSR made the 55574380 update should I just forget about Maptun and go with BSR? I have been discussing this problem on and off with Maptun for over 2 years now. Any suggestions?

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible
    Join the trionictuning website there is many Swedish tuners there that will answer your questions.