Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi

automatic transmission shifter - replacement of the sliding gate cover

I knew it was just a matter of time before one of the grooves on the corregated shifter gate cover split and the broken piece would slide into the abyss.

My local Saab dealer has a replacement, but I haven't a clue on how to disassemble that part of the console - I don't see even suggestions of fasteners anywhere.

Can someone who has tackled this project provide some guidance?

Thanks, in advance!

BTW - This part is $30 from Saab. Is this part common to any other GM vehicles, maybe a bit cheaper and doesn't involve a drive across town?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    You can find the instructions and part number here: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=666

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi
    OK, got the trim collar popped off, but the screw holding the front section on is described on one blog as 2.5 mm hex, and another as 10 Torx - which is correct? My 10 Torx head seemed short and at that point I elected to not try a 2.5 mm hex.
    I don't want to strip the screw head forcing the incorrect tool

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Sportcombi
    I got a longer T10 Torx at Home Depot and it worked like a charm, but as I was dis-assembling the shifter and lock button, an 'L' shaped piece broke off. Another member apparently had the same problem (old plastic doesn't have the tensile strength as a new part). Rather than try to superglue a functional part, let alone not knowing where it broke off, I put the assembly back together without it. The only real issue seems to be having to manually lowering the lock button, to pull the key out of the ignition. If anyone knows which piece (lock button, front or rear shifter halves) this 'L' clip is a part of, I may see if I can buy a new one. I say may because the torx screw seemed to be cutting new threads - I don't know if the rest of old pieces can take another dis/re-assembly
    The thin film lit display of the gear selection also snapped at the bottom. I superglued that back together.

Somebody on a thread asked if it would be easier to just snip the rubber jalousie and slide it in place. Considering the brittleness of the other pieces, I would definitely recommend that route.