Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t

I don't want to give my 9-3 up but..

Hi guys, so I have a 06 9-3. I've had it for about three years and it's easily been the funniest car I've driven. So it's been misfiring and losing acceleration randomly,so I brought it to a shop(Saab certified) they replaced the spark plugs and test drove it and it was fine. I picked it up and drove 15 miles down the highway to my city. It started to misfire and lose acceleration again. It wen in and out until I got to a gas station. I filled up and then it wouldn't start. I could hear it cranking, but it wasn't catching. So o had it towed right back to the shop. They called me that night and said it started right up for them, but they didn't drive and and didn't want me to get it just yet. Two days later they told me it was the ecm and some relay(I can't remember)I have a bunch of small things too that will add up and it might not be worth fixing(the radio died or maybe it's something bigger, my front end needs a lot of work because of the crappy RI roads, my ac doesn't work because a pot hole put a hole in the condenser. it was winter so I didn't think that was a major issue. I was wondering as far as the misfiring, could it be ignition coils? They said the scan just said general misfire. I don't mind replacing them all. If anything that would be better. It is 10 years old after all. Anyways any input from you veterans would be helpful. I really like this car and would like to keep it, but if I have to sink a lot of money into her it may be time to say goodbye
    thanks in advance

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Sorry to hear of problems. Get another car when you feel you need to but consider that this might be the last Saab for you. Don't take that lightly.

In terms of dollars only, it is cheaper to keep a car than to get another one when the repair costs are less than the depreciation of the replacement car. If the replacement car is a new car, then one really has to need a lot of repairs to financially justify it. One could justify a purchase because of enjoyment but in terms of dollars, it's harder to justify a new car.

Saab(s)
    2004 9-3 Arc Convertible, 2008 9-3 2.0T
    Could very well be coils causing the misfire as it is common. You should go to an Autozone or similar as they will read the codes for free. Or invest in an inexpensive code reader so you have one. Just make sure if you replace any coils (easy to do yourself really) that they have SAAB molded into the plastic and Mitsubishi stamped into the plastic.

Coils should look exactly like this: