Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 9.5 2.3T

After market stereo & factory Amp?

I have a 2002 9-5 Linear that had up until now the stock 2-DIN stereo. I wanted to replace it with a unit that had bluetooth and could connect to USB thumb drive. So I took JVC unit that had 4 pre-amp RCA outputs, purchased Metra 70-1786 at Amazon. However when I hooked it all up, I got a very annoying popping sound whenever I changed songs. I ended up taking the car into Best Buy to have them take a look. Their solution was to sell me a PAC LP6-4 (LP7-4). According to the installer their he said the popping sound was due to different voltage.

However I did originally take a look at this thread - http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=84 and few other guides on the internet, and no where is there a mention of anything like this. The stereo does have a low buzzing sound that can be annoying when the stereo is on and no music is playing. I am beginning to question whether I should have brought my car there. So I am curious if others installing after-market stereos faced similar situation. Could it be the stereo unit itself?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Do you have GLI (ground loop isolators) installed? Those usually take care of any popping and buzzing sounds.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?...ull=1#post2814

Saab(s)
    2002 9.5 2.3T
    Quote Originally Posted by nordwulf View Post
    Do you have GLI (ground loop isolators) installed? Those usually take care of any popping and buzzing sounds.

http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?...ull=1#post2814
    I do not believe so, as all they seemed to have just installed the PAC LP6-4 (LP7-4). It has been over 20 years since I messed with any of this stuff, my memory is starting to come back to me. I do seem to remember having to once get a line converter for high/low signals for an amp. That seems to be what this PAC LP6 does correct? So what they need to add then was this GLI? Begs the question, why didn't they

Saab(s)
    2002 9.5 2.3T
    I just noticed, I specifically bought the Metra 70-1786 because it had the RCA amp connection, and the new stereo had front & back RCA pre-amp outputs. But instead they wired the stereo amplified speaker wires to the PAC LP7-4, then that is going to the Saab factory amp.

I have one more issue as well. This stereo (JVC) remembers stuff like the equalizer settings, but not the source selection. Every time stereo is turned off, it goes back to FM. I am assuming this is because power supply wires are not correct?

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyXI View Post
    But instead they wired the stereo amplified speaker wires to the PAC LP7-4, then that is going to the Saab factory amp.
    So... take that PAC LP7 out, wire the pre-amp outputs from the stereo to the amp connections in the harness on the car and you should be all set. Install some GLI's to take care of any humming/popping sounds and you should be all set.