Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Stephen
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Convertible

08 9-3 Conv with intermittent turn signal and passenger door lock issues

Looked through past threads and didn't see anything on either apparently unrelated glitches:
    1) turn signal randomly (sometimes sporadic and sometimes frequent) turns itself on indicating left in the middle off position, and can only be turned off by signalling right, at which point there is no right turn signal, and the mid and left position both create a left signal. Issue disappears, when in right turn position, the signal starts to indicate right, then signal switch can be switched back to centre and the centre is correctly off and left works as left. Then cycle repeats on an ad hoc, sometimes long duration, sometimes short duration basis, and sometimes not at all for 1 hour or more of driving. Anybody have an idea what is happening and how to correct?
    2) the passenger side electric door lock sometimes works and sometimes doesn't - issue is not a remote driven as the interior electric switch on driver's door also will not operate the lock when problem is present. Problem is intermittent and causes you to have to constantly check to see if the passenger door locks or unlocks.

Saab(s)
    2005 93 'Vert
    I can help with the turn signal issue, just had the same issue as you have - I stripped the switch out of the CIM, and cleaned up all the contacts the indicator uses. Easy enough to do - small screwdriver, 8mm allen key and a small torx driver (T10 iirc) was all that was needed to remove the steering wheel and strip the CIM.

Stephen
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Convertible
    Great advice. I'll need a detailed run-down to pull off the wheel and get to the CIM (not sure what this is) - would you or anyone have a link to these details?

Saab(s)
    9-3 Vert TiD 2009
    I guess you have disconnected the battery for a full reset and pulled the relevant fuses, checking all clean etc. The other issue is battery age as it to can effect all sorts of things if it is on its way out, very rarely giving any indication (no pun intended).

Stephen
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Convertible
    I have disconnected the battery, but will give the fuses a good scrubbing since this is quick and easy. The battery is about 2.5 yrs old, so this shouldn't be an issue but as it's aftermarket it could be causing issues perhaps?

Stephen
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Convertible
    Ok after trying all of the above i talked to a Saab mechanic. He recommended a simple fix and it worked on both issues: dont plug anyting into the cigarette lighter. I pulled out the cell charger that was there and after locking and unlocking the car 2 times the problem disappeared completely. Its been a week of issue free driving and life is good again!