Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-3 Aero

2.8 Aero Manual 6speed CLUTCH REPLACEMENT

I have a 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero with the 2.8v6 6 speed manual transmission. I have about 117k miles and I believe that I am beginning to experience some clutch slippage at low rpms.

For example, turning an intersection in 3rd gear, slowly ~1700 rpm, give it some gas to excelerate and it seems to have a slight lurch, clutch slipping? Hard to explain the feel of it. Nothing like this at all starting in 1st. higher rpms (~2000+) everything is smooth and simple. Also seems that the stick shift is getting a bit stiffer too when selecting gears, I've had the car for about 27k miles and has gotten a bit stiffer, mainly 1st to 2nd.

I am thinking it is time for a new clutch, and I would like to get something aftermarket, maybe stage 1 or 2... not too much to choose from for saabs it seems. Also the dual mass flywheel... please tell me more! Should this be replaced when replacing clutch? can it be machined? Are there aftermarket options for these as well? Would like to get a tune in the future, as far as what I've read so far, I am think Vtunner, they claim approximately 320 hp 400ftlb, looking for a clutch and flywheel to accomodate this but still function well on stock tune as well.

Please share any advice for parts, suppliers, combinations of parts, etc... Please send me links to vendors!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2004 9-5 Arc SW; 2008 9-3 Aero SW
    It's OK with me if you want to replace your clutch. I've no recommendations, but will say the symptom you describe is not a classic slipping clutch. A worn or slipping clutch will show under load as high rpms with no increase in speed (revving without acceleration). You can simulate or test by putting your front bumper gently against an immovable object (tree, wall or similar). Then put the car in 6th gear and let the clutch out and give it a lot of gas. If the car stalls immediately then the clutch is good. If the engine continues running the clutch is worn and slipping.
    It is possible that your rear main engine seal is leaking and has contaminated the clutch making it grabby. Also various shifter bushings and linkage may be worn or loose to cause the stiffer feeling. I'd check and replace any worn parts on the shifter and linkage before or as part of a clutch replacement. I don't think replacing the clutch will solve your problem.