Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

Battery light on dash - alternator replacement?

The battery light suddenly came on today so I was expecting an alternator problem. One of those jobs I have read about and it isn't all that easy to do.

I tested with a volt meter and am getting 12.4V at the battery when the engine is off. With the engine on, it drops to 12.1V so the battery clearly isn't getting charged. My car is 11 year old and has 110K so it is safe to assume the alternator is the problem? Or could it just be the voltage regulator?

A rebuilt alternator is $189 so that's not too bad. My drive to work is only a few miles so it seems like the battery should be ok for a few days without getting charged until I can replace this weekend? Perhaps use the battery charger to charge it in the evenings.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/2836...built-AL0813X/

If found some tutorials online and several forum threads. It is not impossible but not the most fun job either. Perhaps I'll check with a repair shop in town and see what they will charge. Has anyone had it replaced by a dealer or other repair shop? If so, how many labor hours were charged?

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    usually it is only the regulator, but with a Saab very hard to change out with the unit in the car. Since getting the damn thing out of the engine bay seems the hardest thing to do some guys have taken it off the motor and changed the regulator without taking it out of the bay. I know one guy who claims he put the regulator in without removing anything except the regulator. If it is the regulator you should have had a flicker on the battery light off and on just a bit in the last month or so. My guess, replace the whole thing. Make sure it is a 140 amp

Saab(s)
    Also, I know you have ramps so I thing you could do it yourself. You know how to find the tutorials.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Thanks Mike. The battery light never flickered or came on before. It just came on with the warning triangle and warning sound.

I ordered a remanuaftured Bosch alternator from eEuro last night and should be here Friday. I read a few tutorials and forum posts and the easiest seems to be to get it out from the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB9QIcyLQX0
    http://www.twinsaabs.com/9-5_repair/...o.asp?nsteps=3

I replaced a turbo and coolant pump on the 9-5 before and I can't imagine replacing the alternator could be much more difficult. Just time consuming in figuring it out.

Saab(s)
    Yes room at the top with the mount removed and the motor raised up a bit you can get it out on maybe the 34th try.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
    Yes room at the top with the mount removed and the motor raised up a bit you can get it out on maybe the 34th try.
    I think I got it out on the 28th try so it must have been my lucky day!

It actually wasn't that bad to get it out from the top. Just had to wiggle it a bit and make sure to push up the engine from the bottom. I think it was intimidated by a few words I said that I can't repeat here..

The job took me about 6 hours but I had to take frequent breaks because (the genius that I am) I did this on the hottest day of the year with the sun cooking the engine bay and my back getting fried in the afternoon sun. Should have waited until 5:00pm... I think I could do it again in about 2-3 hours in a comfortable garage.

But the old one is out and the new one is in. No more battery light on the dash and my voltmeter read 13.8V at the battery with the engine running. My Saab is happy again. The battle scars on my arms and hands are signs of victory!

These were the most helpful instructions in addition to the Youtube video.
    http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-5/index.html?bID=258342

Dave T.
    Saab(s)
    1999 9-3SE (2013-2015), 2005 9-3 (2005-2013), 1990 900 (1990-2003)
    Congratulations!

Nordwulf should receive the first Saabworld Award for Dedication. Good work to our first proposed recipient! It's this kind of effort that keeps Saab strong!

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    9-5

Aternator

2005 Saab 9-5 Arc sedan, 2.3T.

The alternator just crapped out.

I’ve watched a couple youtube videos. It looks like a real PITA job.

Do I jockey the engine around by putting a jack on the oil pan?

What’s the deal with the exhaust and turbo? Do I need to disconnect it?

I am dreading this...

Frank
    Saab(s)
    Just take your time and be patient in getting it out. I can't say it was a fun job but wasn't the worst either. If you're really dreading this job, it's perhaps a good idea to check with a local mechanic and see how much they charge.

I didn't have to unbolt the turbo/exhaust so that made it a bit easier.

I'll move your post to another thread with more information.

Saab(s)
    saab 9-5t
    Ok..have to change the slave cylinder...

Skickat från min SM-G903F via Tapatalk