Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 arc wagon

Question died on highway

So, for the last few very hot days. i have had to crank my Saab for 2-3 seconds (as opposed to the usual 1/2-1 second), but it starts a runs fine after that. Didn't think much of it other than I should look into this and maybe it is related to the heats and lousy gas. Today, on my way home, the car stalled at a red light. Had the air conditioning fan on high and the radio on so didn't notice if it was a sudden stop or a sputter and stall. The car restarted without any issue. A little while later, while exiting the highway, the car stalled again. This time it would not start. It cranked just fine but wouldn't run. I opened the hood and did not notice any fuel or oil or other strange smells not see anything out of place. After about 20-30 minutes of intermittently trying with the hood open so the engine could cool a little it started and I was able to drive home. At no time did I notice a check engine light on. I guess I am to suspect the CPS or DIC. However, and here is my question, would I see any codes or check engine light if either of those two were a problem?

Saab(s)
    9-5 2001
    Sounds more like the fuel pump is about to go, has it ever been replaced?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5 S Wagon-01
    Sounds like the cps. Similar to what happened to one of mine.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 arc wagon
    I was able to gt a hold of an OBD II code reader, and sure enough, there was a code. P0336. This points to the Crankshaft position sensor. What I found interesting is that I cleared the code and the next day, after a few short trips the car would crank but not start. this time there was no code. I would also note that originally, the OBD II read "faults = 0" "pending = 1" the "pending code" was P0336. I was not aware of the differences, so for the next person, I found this description:

OBD II Pending Codes are also referred to as “continuous monitor” and “maturing codes”. An intermittent fault will cause the computer to store a pending code in memory. If the fault does not recur within 40 warm-up cycles, the code will be cleared from memory. If the fault recurs a specific number of times, the code will then mature into a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) and the MIL or “check engine” light will turn on.
    I am not really sure why the code did not appear the next day, but it may have to due with the fact that the first time, the car was running and actually stopped. The second day, it just failed to start. I am not familiar enough with how the codes work to say this is or is not the reason.
    Regardless, I am changing the CPS today and will let you know what transpires.

Saab(s)
    2002 9-5 2.3t
    I have a similar problem. Car stalls and is hard to restart. At first I thought it was the fuel pump, so I replaced that. Now think mine is related to the Ac. Whenever the Ac is on the is a whining noise. Just died on my wife and had to have it towed. I'll have to find a way to check if there are any codes. Was looking at how to bypass the compressor with a smaller belt but cant find a diagram.

Desmond Khoo
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.0t
    Do check if the fuel pump is running. It does sound like a fuel issue. Open the rear seat, and the fuel pump cover and turn the car on. you should be able to hear the fuel pump buzz.

For CPS faults, it usually occurs when the car is hot. then is okay when car is cooled down.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2005 9-5 arc wagon
    replaced the CPS 2 weeks ago. so far so good.