Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    900 Turbo, 9-3 SE, 9-5 Aero

Got Lucky!

My 03 Aero was hit and totaled this past July when it was it in the parking lot by a WWII veteran with a health issure.

I purchased an 06 9-5 to replace it. The disappointing thing about losing my Aero was I had just replaced the struts/shocks and springs a little less than 10 k ago. The new car has 105K on the clock and would need to be renewed soon.

Well I got lucky when an 03 9-5 showed up at a boneyard I never knew existed until recently, it was not very close to home but would be about 30 minutes away yesterday. So I went and checked it out. Low and behold, it was my car. The suspension was intact so I removed it, gladly paid $80 for all four dampers and springs and even got them in the 06 yesterday afternoon. I was hoping the interior was still there, but it was gone. Not surprising since it was easily a 9.5 out of 10 for condition.

The surprising thing was I thought my 06 did not have the sport suspension. I took careful measurements of the ride height before I replaced and after, and they were the identical down to the mm. So I checked the PN's on the springs and they were same.

Sad to see the car I owned for 8 years in the boneyard but very happy I got the suspension from it for less than $100.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Such a coincidence. I imagine it was lucky to get all the suspension parts for a great price but also said to see your previous car being picked clean.

How do you like your new '06 compared to your '03?

Saab(s)
    I like it. I like the newer style dash and the color combo inside with the Parchment sport seats. Love having XM built in. I really like the newer front end styling, was not a fan of the new tail lights, but they have grown on me. Love the color, I learned 06 was the only year of this color. As I said I was surprised the ride height is he same with the O3 suspension. I thought the 06 rode better and now it feels even better with the new dampers and springs. So I am very happy with it so far. Not happy about the the fuel pump replacement procedure vs the 03. I plan on replacing it proactively as it appears to have the original pump in there. I have dropped tanks on other cars, not hard, just a PITA compared to lifing the rear seat.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    I used to have an '06 as well and it is surprising how different they feel, even though they are still basically the same car as the older models.

Another thing that's a pain on the '06+ is replacing the transmission fluid as there is no dipstick anymore.

Arbor Green is a very nice color and very unique as you mentioned, only available for the 2006 model year. If you don't mind, I would like to add the picture of your car to the 9-5 paint colors thread: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=29697

Saab(s)
    Sure, happy for to use the pic.

And OH, my transmission does have a dipstick. Another oddity about this particular car. But I'm glad it does, because the transmission flush (4x) was the first thing I did along with oil and coolant flush.

FYI: Toyota Type T-IV was $65 for a case at the local Toyota dealer

Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3
    My 06 has a transmission dipstick as well. I think the bean counters had it deleted in 2007.

Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    My 06 has a transmission dipstick as well. I think the bean counters had it deleted in 2007.
    Hey Aeronaut (love your name) I also love what you did the chrome trim in front. I was thinking of doing the same but with a gunmetal, tone down the chrome a bit.

Saab(s)
    92 900S , 03 9-5 Aero
    What kind of shape is the front spoiler in? I'd gladly pay you for removal and shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    Very poor. It was glued and zip tied together underneath. It was in 3 pieces.