Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5, 2011 9-3 black conv; gone not forgotten but too hot down here

Oil separator leaking from "o" ring on nipple to block

I have a 2007 9-5, 134,000 mile automatic. From MI originally, now residing in PHX. I brought her out her to save her from the cold and rust. Well let me tell you, the heat out here wears on everything plastic and rubber. She started to spot in my garage from front seal, oil pump, and valve cover or the combination of all. I'm a firm believer not to get just a little dirty, go all the way. So this past month I dropped engine and replaced all seals and gaskets throughout engine. Replaced all vacuum lines and oil separator. I do not have positive crank case pressure at idle. Freaked me out as I was worried about glove being sucked in. No slop in turbo shaft. People thought I was crazy for dumping this much time, money, and effort. All I could say was, "it's a Saab thing, you wouldn't understand".

No leaks anywhere, as I babied her for a couple hundred miles just to make sure. Once my coddling period ended and really got on her, oil leakage began from the "O" ring / nipple part of the oil separator that plugs into engine block. I have replaced this box now 3 times. Ordered parts from eeuroparts, thesaabsite, and local shop. All parts are the same, from Proparts, Sweden. Some photos on line show green "O" ring others black. All parts came in with black "O" ring. No smoke during start up or acceleration. I did put original separator back on, still leaks. Each time I allow for a slow and easy period, but as soon as I get on her she responds with this leak. I now have replace all hoses twice in case check valves faulty.

I'm half considering to seal separator to block with silicon, but if there is something wrong all I will do is force oil out somewhere else. I just don't get it

I need help. And no I am not willing to give up and accept a leak. What am I missing?

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2007 9-5 Aero Sport Combi
    Are you SURE is isn't the oil pressure switch leaking?

Saab(s)
    2007 9-5, 2011 9-3 black conv; gone not forgotten but too hot down here
    Quote Originally Posted by Yamarocket630 View Post
    Are you SURE is isn't the oil pressure switch leaking?
    Thanks for the reply.

I wish it was, but no. Oil is leaking from the bottom "nipple" that plugs into engine block. Now that our weather has cooled to upper 80's, I'll have another go at her this weekend. Maybe step out and put larger "O" ring on to create a tighter fit, as if it is not already hard to push into block from underneath. Just hope oil pressure or whatever doesn't blow past fresh seals elsewhere.

Took down all hoses and checked valves just in case one was faulty from factory. All fine.