Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3

Strange No Start Problem

Hello World!!! I am planning on doing a video of this diagnosis because after reading 100's of no start threads with tons of misguiding information, I think it would help future Saabers.
    I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 SE B205R with 115k on the clock. I was driving at about 30mph, on my way to work, when all of a sudden my tach drops to zero and the car stops. I pull over to the side of the road and attempt to restart it. The car cranks and cranks and cranks but WILL NOT start. I hear the fuel pump priming in the back, and there is some level of pressure at the rail because fuel squirts out when i push the valve in. I got the car towed back to the house.

MORE INFO:

Now, my initial thoughts were "okay its the DIC or the CPS", but I replaced my DIC about a month ago with a lightly used one (old one died), and it had been running great, no CELs, misfires, or power loss. So finally I get around to testing my CPS. I go to the connector and run a resistance test; I get about 800 Ohms, which seems to say the CPS is fine BUT I get no tach "bouncing" when cranking. (the tach moves about 1mm when car is switched to "on" but I believe thats just it powering the instrument panel, there is no additional movement when I go to ignition).

I hear a buzzing noise from around the fuse box when I switch to "on". There is a relay box under the trim by the pedals, correct? And is this noise maybe a bad relay? I want to say my CPS is bad although it passed the Ohms test, but my fuel pump is priming so that couldnt be the case, right? I attempted cranking with starter fluid to diagnose possible fuel problems, and the car still didnt start. No spark, huh? When my last DIC went bad I had CELs galore and multiple misfires. I recently took it upon myself to replace the alternator (not as bad as everyone made it out to be, honestly), could this be related?
    Ive had some slow starts in the morning leading up to this. not terrible, it would always start - but it would crank a little slow and about 4-5 times before it would start. I checked all the fuses in the box and they all checked out (Although I did find out why my headlight wipers weren't working! woo!!)

NOW, TO SUMMARIZE: WHAT would cause my car to suddenly just DIE? No warning, no noises, smells, etc. It just died. Did my ECU eat Sh*t? I'm at a loss here.

Could my CPS still be bad despite it (seemingly) passing the resistance test and hearing the fuel pump?
    What causes this "no spark" that i seem to have? (if thats the case)
    I had under a 1/4 tank when this happened, SID said 50 miles left. I have never let the gas get this low. Is it possible I picked up sentiment from the tank? Is my guage just wrong and its empty? but there's fuel at the rail...?

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3
    To clarify, I don't mean I had to try and start the car 4-5 times before it would start, simply a slightly extended cranking on the first start attempt.

Dave
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2001 93 2.0Ltr HOT Aero coupe & 2011 1.9TTiD Aero saloon
    Hi
    Having a B205R myself I would do the following.

Make sure the battery is fully charged and all the earths are good.
    Check around the alternator connections.
    Possibly replace the fuel filter (located in front of the rear wheel, passenger side if L/H drive or drivers side if R/H drive)
    Check the throttle body for free movement of the butterfly valve.
    Look at the general state of the plugs.

A bad battery can cause various problems.
    Around the alternator area there are quite a few wiring connections that may of been upset.
    A blocked fuel filter can cause the engine to suddenly die.
    A sticking throttle body butterfly valve can cause starting issues.
    And plug state is usually a good indicator too
    Hope this is of help
    Dave

Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-5, 2004 Saab 9-5 Aero; 2002 9-3 HOT Hatch
    Hello,

Have you checked the Neutral Safety Switch or the Ignition Switch?