Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 93 Viggen (5-door)

Unhappy Unkown Issue With 2002 Viggen

Hey Saab World!

Today I became the proud owner of a 2002 Saab 93 Viggen. I am very new to a manual transmission and have spent the entire day practicing. As I was backing out of my driveway I heard a loud sound of metal under serious duress. I immediately stopped the car and looked under to find a bolt that has\d been ripped in half and two washers (pictured below). I immediately freaked out and made an account on this forum (something broken the first day... are you kidding me). I apologize if I did not choose the correct sub forum to post this but that kind of the last of my concerns right now. Now when I drive it there is a sound similar to a loose pipe rattling around and hitting the under body when the car shakes like going over a bump for example. Any information would be much, much appreciated. Is it safe to drive, what happened, etc...

+It is important to note that my driveway is very steep and you have to really swing the car hard to get it out. It is also a salvage title however it has under gone very serious repairs.

Thank you so much in advance for any info,
    Sincerely a brand new Saab owner really not trying to be a former Saab Owner.

BOLT AND WASHERS(quarter for size): http://imgur.com/a/tBmeA
    Last edited by Gradynn; 10 October 2016 at 03:29.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Saab 9-5
    Put a quarter next to that broken bolt so we can see what size it is and post the pic again.

Buy some plastic ramps, get under the car and take a look, see what's loose.

Saab(s)
    2002 Saab 93 Viggen (5-door)
    Quote Originally Posted by RDISaab View Post
    Put a quarter next to that broken bolt so we can see what size it is and post the pic again.

Buy some plastic ramps, get under the car and take a look, see what's loose.
    Done. As for the ramps I do have a Saab specialized mechanic who will take a look at it for me in the not so distant future I'm just worried about doing serious damage before I can get it fixed.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2008 Saab 9-5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradynn View Post
    Done. As for the ramps I do have a Saab specialized mechanic who will take a look at it for me in the not so distant future I'm just worried about doing serious damage before I can get it fixed.
    If you've already driven the car you've already answered that question.

Your description of the symptoms sounds like a loose sway bar to me. Maybe it's a sway bar bushing bolt.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    99 Viggen convertible, 00 Viggen convertible, 99 Viggen Coupe
    give Pete Raw a call, he knows just about everything to do with OG9-3.good luck

Dave
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2001 93 2.0Ltr HOT Aero coupe & 2011 1.9TTiD Aero saloon
    Hi
    Had a look under my 2001 93 Hot (B205R) tonight. It's been a while since I've managed to access it under all the clutter in my garage.
    As I'm not sure about the size of the coinage used it was tricky to judge the size of the nut and bolt pictured.
    If it's an original nut and bolt the markings on the top of the bolt should give some indication of it's strength and the job it's required to do.
    All the steering, suspension and engine mounting parts I managed to see had captive nuts or were part of a swivel type fitment.
    The only nut and bolt I found was one on the lower part of the clutch/gearbox assembly that had a 12mm head and was 55mm in length. I've found some info on nut and bolt identification, but the best way to find the answer is to get the car up in the air and have a good poke around.

https://www.engineersedge.com/hex_bo...tification.htm

http://www.lippincottsupply.com/bolt-nut_ident.pdf

http://www.portlandbolt.com/technica...ents-by-grade/

Good luck.
    Dave