Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-5 2.3T Stage 3

2006 9-5 Replace auto transmission oil cooler lines

I recently noticed oil spots under the car and traced it back to a leaky transmission cooler line. The other line looked to be in bad shape so I replaced them both. Over all I was down more than a litre of transmission oil. Also during the job I was surprised to find that the two banjo bolts on the transmission were quite loose and one was leaking, as well the two banjo bolts on the radiator were also very loose. Check your connections! Here are a few pictures.

New parts. I also used 2 litres of coolant:

Remove the radiator cooling fans to get to the transmission oil cooler lines. To do this remove the turbo air tubes etc, the top radiator hose and the rad over flow line. Getting the fans out is the hardest part of this job, note there is a hidden 8mm bolt on the bottom of the fans supporting the transmission lines:

New lines installed. Use new washers. Also be careful with the radiator banjos by using a second wrench on the larger nut to prevent the possibility of twisting the oil line off inside the radiator:

Banjo connections on the transmission. really easy to get at. Use a 19mm wrench. Be sure to tighten the new lines to be clear of the subframe as they will rub with engine movement. My lines were loose and were in contact with the subframe. Four litres (I measured) of transmission oil drained out of the banjo on the right. I used Toyota Type IV compatible oil, it was on sale at Canadian tire for $20 a jug:

A rusty stab connector on the bottom cooler line was leaking, it is the one on the bottom of this picture:

No more leaks!
    Last edited by aeronaut; 02 November 2016 at 03:09.