Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    Wannabe 9-3

Buying a Saab 9-3 advice

Hi all

New to the forum and the world of Saabs so please be gentle.

Last Friday, some (insert your own expletive) wrote off my 1999 Audi A4. So I am tasked with buying another car to get me to work and back. I have seen a 55 plate 9-3 whick looks in my eyes and on the laptop ok and would like your advice (off to see it later). It is the TiD 1.9 150BHP. Body work is unmarked and so is the interior from what I can see with what looks to be a FSH. They are asking £1390. Oh yes and 114,000 on the clock. Past MOT's have the usual advisorys like tyres, but the last 2 MOT's have been clear. Except.... the MOT in 2014 advisory reported "offside front McPherson strut has slight movement in the upper support bearing assembly". Nothing mentioned since. Do you think this is something to worry about?

Thanks for any advice.

Andy

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Hello and welcome. What year is a 55 plate? Outside the UK, we're not familiar with that and mostly use model years.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    With a 55 plate you're looking at virtually the same year 9-3 that I recently purchased and on my side of the pond with the exchange rate what it is, 1400 quid would be a remarkable price.
    It doesn't matter who makes the vehicle, every car will eventually need new shocks and struts, the support mount and bearing are normal wear parts usually replaced with struts. As the MOT doesn't mention this in 2015 or 16, I would suspect that the struts were replaced, do take a look to verify.
    My 9-3 is the sport wagon, I did check out the Audi wagon, they are comparable in quality. I picked the Saab because my EBF is 547 and it's better fit for a man my size.

Saab(s)
    Wannabe 9-3
    Sorry for the late response. A 55 plate is 2005 and so is a 05 plate. Basically the UK has two new release dates for cars.

I had a look at the Saab in question and all was very tidy. Started it up and the usual diesel noise, but on the passengers side of the vehicle (left side ) just behind the wheel was another noise. Not being familier with Saab, is this normal or could it be something to be wary of? Fuel pump perhaps?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Personally I am astounded that Saab found room under the bonnet to right hand mount the brakes and steering. Beyond the AC and cabin air blower which could make noise behind the wheel, I can only imagine what else might have been moved to the left.

When in doubt have the car hoisted and checked by a mechanic, a couple quid today buys peace of mind and could save you a small fortune in the future.