Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    geosaabb
    Saab(s)
    05..95..280hp....320ft.lbs

Disappointed after sump drop

After dropping the sump on my 05 ARC,which went well except the bottom stud on the turbo was a little stubborn.
    I started the car,it caught 1st time ,idled normally.I let it idle till normal temp.After a half hour still no oil light,before the drop it would have lit up accompanied by the red triangle.Let it idle another half hour,no leaks, so far so good,so I went for little spin,20 minutes later at a stop sign I heard the dreaded chimes along with the oil light so I brought the RPMs to approx. 1000revs, it went out.I drove back to my garage utterly dejected. When I dropped the sump there was quite a bit of sludge,maybe half a cupful,the screen was about 20% plugged, so I thought my problem was solved. Iam thinking it may be the oil pump [where is it anyway?]. Any ideas?

George

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1994 9000 Aero, 2004 9-5 Aero wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by geosaabb View Post
    Iam thinking it may be the oil pump [where is it anyway?]. Any ideas?

George
    It is on the side of the engine. Same side as the belts. It is internal. Curious what weight oil are you running?

geosaabb
    Saab(s)
    Brand new Mobil 1 0w-40 and GM Filter,I also replaced the drain plug with a magnetic one...made sense to me.I thought the reason behind the thinner oil was to make sure the turbo bearings were well lubricated. A lot of people on this site use the 0w-40 weight.Iam no expert so..... I hope it isn't the oil pump maybe new engine from Ebay.I hate to give up on this car,it is in terrific shape.Any more thoughts?

George

Saab(s)
    01 95 Aero and Wagon, 09 93 Combi and an 08 95 Combi
    A 2005 with sludge. Very unlikely unless the PO completely neglected the car. The 05 had the updated PCV system and the Mobil I 0-40 recommendation. You dont say how many miles on the car. If your screen was only 20% blocked I am not even sure the oil is your issue as the 05 also had the updated oil pump which I have not heard of anyone having a failure. What does occur to me is that you may have 2 issues as there are many things that can cause the triangle. The sending unit is above the starter motor. A motor with just sludge normally shows up as only the oil light and not the red triangle, although some have had both and it was oil related. Get the codes read and report back. Perhaps the red triangle is something else. The minimum you must do is get the oil system pressure read. Any competent garage can do this.
    As a note, is your RPM at idle on or about 900 to 950? That is where it should be. Another possibility is you did not replace the O rings in the sump or if you did possibly you did not get it put back together correctly.

geosaabb
    Saab(s)
    Thanks Mike for your insight,as far as being installed properly,I did replace the O rings and practiced putting the sump back in place without the gasket maker,adjusting the jack under the transmission as I went until I was comfortable with it.The engine has 220,000kms on it,I suspect the PO wasn't as fussy with the car as Iam.When I first changed the oil,the filter was a no name brand.Your right ,I should find out what the oil pressure is, then go from there.

geosaabb
    Saab(s)
    Finally, I had the oil pressure checked and it turns out that there was just enough to keep the oil light from coming on,even at 3500rpm.
    So, Iam in the market for a 235L or R engine for my 05 95 auto long block with or without manifolds,turbo etc. At this stage I can't be too choosey. If anyone out there in Saabworld has one kicking around,please get in touch. Iam in Canada

Thanks,George

Saab(s)
    '04 9-5 Aero Wagon, '90 900
    Man that's a bummer. I'm curious to find out the source of the issue -oil pump failure or something?
    Did you drop the pan again to verify that everything was in place? I remember seeing recently somewhere (? can't remember the site unfortunately) that had a similar issue and the tube wasn't seated correctly when he went back in again.

Just seems strange if you had oil pressure before, removed the pan, and now have low pressure.

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible
    When the sump drop was done where the o-rings renewed on the cross over pipe and oil pick up pipe?

geosaabb
    Saab(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoff 9-3 View Post
    When the sump drop was done where the o-rings renewed on the cross over pipe and oil pick up pipe?
    Yes,but it makes sense that this problem started suddenly and I think the problem is still the same and I may not have secured the cross over pipe as tight as possible ,so Iam going to drop the sump again.Wish me luck

Thanks,Geosaabb
    PS. Drove the car back from the mechanic's [10mins] car went like stink

Geoffrey Storey
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-3 viggen convertible
    Did you fit genuine seals? I fitted no oem seals and had the same problem I had strip it down again the seals had shrunk.