Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

2004 9-3 Aero Convertible, ~100k miles, $4,200: a good idea? + dead Saab

Hey guys,

Looking for impressions on a Saab 9-3 in Massachusetts... It's a 2004 9-3 Aero convertible. Beautiful interior and exterior, absolutely excellent condition. It was bought for ~$2,700 last winter and various things were done to repair it by the owner himself - brand new leather on the driver seat, fixed up passenger seat leather, replaced the wheels with nicer Saab ones, fixed the blower motor, repaired or replaced the convertible top (sorry, don't remember which). It's got around 100,000 miles on it. I'm sure if there was anything audibly wrong with the engine, he would've heard it and repaired whatever it was. He completely rebuilds and restores amazing old British cars and is definitely a perfectionist! So I believe the car is as perfect as it can be at 12/13 years old. The only issue with the car is a small leak on the driver side - supposedly it's a door seal but I guess it could have something to do with the convertible top. They've kept it garaged, and when not garaged, they put a tarp on it.

Question is, is it worth $4,200? I bought my current car (2005 9-3 Linear) at 160k miles so I don't really know how soon major maintenance is going to be necessary/recommended. I also really like these 2 but it's hard to get out & test drive when you're an hour away w/ no car:
    http://www.sammiloneautotruck.com/2008_Saab_93_Plaistow_NH_4111856.veh
    http://www.sammiloneautotruck.com/2008_Saab_95_Plaistow_NH_6469164.veh#

Secondary question: Anyone have an opinion on what to do with my 2005 9-3? It was doing fine, drove wonderfully, then got hit by a girl running a red light. $2k in damage, $30 in repairs for 3 months and it was surprisingly solid. Until the blower motor died and I dug around trying to fix it - it then started suffering from complete power loss while driving. Could've gotten me killed. Loose ground probably? Anyway, it needs around $3,200 for those & other repairs before it's considered a nice car again. But the brakes & rotors were all replaced 11 months ago, and I think all tires are around 1 year old (though all different brands/treads). Speakers are nice aftermarket ones unless I swap them into the convertible. What can I do with it? It needs to be towed wherever it goes... I don't make much money so I'd like the most money I can get out of it, though I lack the time & expertise to part the car out.
    Last edited by DeadLegend; 21 November 2016 at 02:00.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Well at my opinion (i don't know the price of that car on the US market ) the convertible at that price is a good deal, if the car has following the maintenance schedule.you will find it here http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=578
    about your old, swap the brakes if you think it's in a better shape of the new, same with the aftermarket speakers but for the tires, better to avoid to drive with different brands of tires, except if they are mounted on one axle, same tires...the modern cars have some systems like TCS or ESP who's unlike to work the different gum qualities.
    hope it help you