Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X

The Grand Tour

Is anyone here watching the reincarnation of Top Gear? Like many, I had high expectations of TGT but am a bit underwhelmed.

Top Gear was scripted and designed to make the presenters look stupid in many situations. The new show is pretty much the same but it just seems so fake and even more heavily scripted. There doesn't seem to be any spontanity from the presenters left.

The car builds for challenges are clearly overdone and you know the 3 stooges don't have anything to do with the builds. The actual car segments are short and there just doesn't seem much passion in it. The American replacement for the Stig is entertaining and I am sure he ticks off many Brits.

Don't get me wrong, it is still entertaining and fun to watch. But I prefer the older Top Gear where they were just goofing around and had some great segments on real cars. Maybe these are just growing pains of the switch from BBC to Amazon and TGT just needs some time to grow.

Jimbo
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2001 9-5 2.3t Vector
    I don't think the guys have as much input into the script as they did while at BBC. I agree, the segments seem shorter, but they have to cut something out to pay for all the "grand touring" they're doing. It's still fun to watch though.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    Not surprising it's underwhelming. I personally was done with old Top Gear a while back. Mighty Car Mods is more fun IMHO.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Ivan
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2003 9-5 Aero Sedan (R.I.P.), 2006 9-5 2.3T Sport, 2008 9-3 Aero SC
    I stopped watching TG a long time ago (Clarkson really grates on my nerves). Watching TGT now, 2 episodes in. So far, I have mixed feelings about it. Episode 1 was good, while episode 2 was atrocious. But my friend who's all caught up says that it gets a lot better. So I'll watch a bit more.

So far, my biggest issue is that TGT is too much of a parody of TG. As TG was already a rather funny show, a parody just seems wrong. It's near-impossible to parody a comedy.

Saab(s)
    2008 9-3 TTiD Hirsch Performance
    Love this show. With every new episode they are gettin better and better

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2011 9-3 Aero xwd
    Im curious how the new season of Top Gear be, I thought Matt was very good and will be a good change. TGT so far is a tad boring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    Episode 5 in Rotterdam is pretty good, even though I didn't care for the Battleship part. Just silly stuff with destruction and explosions and that's about it. The opening scenes showed a Spyker, Donkervoort and Carver One driving in the Netherlands and it would have been cool if they they would have done more with these cars/bikes made in the Netherlands.. Not sure why they host it in one country and then most of the show was in others (Morocco and UK).

Name:  carver-donkervoort-spyker.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  84.4 KB