Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3 Convertible

2002 Saab 9-3 Convertible Help Needed

Just picked up my first Saab. It is a very clean 2002 9-3 convertible. It has about 110,000 on the clock with a 5 speed stick. It runs quite well. I picked it up for a pretty reasonable price knowing that it has issues with the soft top opening and closing. Some of the issues I have found are as follows (along with my questions). I truly appreciate any help that the forum can lend:
    • One of the cylinders on the passenger side is leaking, I can see it when the top is down and know it has to come out for a rebuild. When I do this I plan on pulling the entire back interior apart so I can inspect and replace anything that looks suspect. I found this place out west that looks reputable. www.tophydraulics.com
    • The guy I bought the car from topped off the hydraulic pump reservoir with GM transmission fluid. This looks like a big no-no. My questions is, how to I empty an flush the entire system out?
    • The weatherstrip from the 5th bow to the tonneau cover is torn away from the 5th bow for about a foot in the middle. It can't be glued to repair. Any suggestions here? The only one I could find on-line is around $300, ouch!
    • In general, the soft top operation is one of the most complicated systems I've encountered in my years as a shade tree mechanic. I know that I face many hours of frustration on this project but trying to stay positive. The car is beautiful and fun to drive.

thanks!

Doug
    Buffalo, NY

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    With tranny fluid mixed in you are going to need to do a bit more than bleed the system, you are going to need to flush the system and with all the things you plan on pulling while you have the cylinder out for repair a flush job is no big whoopty. You can do this at home without a fancy flush system but you do need to be careful not to make a mess. No U-tubes on this but plenty on flushing transmissions, so watch a few and get creative.

The best deal for new top juice that I've found is the Walmart 9 pack of Prestone AS268 delivered to your door for $45. Way more than you need to flush the top, but the delivered price is good enough to justify flushing the power steering as preventative maintenance and keeping a 12 oz jug for topping off when needed.

This top design is used by multiple manufacturers and find the rubber you need by going to the https://www.steelerubber.com catalog. Not as convenient as getting a pre cut part, but a heck of a lot less money.

Saab(s)
    2002 9-3 Convertible
    Thanks Digger for the tips. I am now waiting for warmer weather so I can start working on the beast. Also the car only came with one key. Getting a second key cut and programmed is not cheap as I am finding out.