Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t
    Hmm. In all the YouTube videos that actually show using Seafoam the line that they use is right at the front of the engine above the exhaust manifold. I've seen something similar on my engine but it's a short hose. One video did explain how to tell by putting your finger over one end of the hose so i can try that and see if the reactions the same. If not I'll see about getting a copy of the Haynes book and see if it shows.

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    You're probably looking at videos of 6cyl engines. Had to pull the cover off my engine last night for my own little problem and while it was off I took a close look at the vacuum lines so I could better describe how to find this line.

The line goes into the front side of the intake manifold, centered on the throttle body opening and about an inch below the bracket for the vacuum valve that's mounted just forward of the throttle body. It is a short rubber line elbow, the that connects to a longer rubber line, that eventually works its way back to the purge valve. Piece of cake to get at going up from the bottom, not so easy to get your hand in there from the top down and unless you have really small hands you need to take some stuff off to get your hand in.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t
    Ok that means I was on the right path. thanks for that.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t
    So I got the Seafoam in the engine and now instead of roaring like a tiger it's purring like a kitten. No more tapping on a cold start. The smoke was described in one of the videos as being white, mine wasn't, it was gray until about halfway through. There's also a definite increase in acceleration. Thank you everyone for the help and advice (even if I didn't take it).

Now my next issue is the transmission. I don't think I have a dipstick so how do I check the fluid and/or change it if I need to?

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Now my next issue is the transmission. I don't think I have a dipstick so how do I check the fluid and/or change it if I need to?[/QUOTE]

You do have a tranny dipstick and it's the little thing that sticks up about an inch above the tranny case hidden behind every hose in the front of the engine compartment. From the right angle you can see it from the top, but you have to lift the car up to get at it and if you want to check the level you need to raise the car level.

The dipstick is held by a 10mm bolt and I find 1/4 drive with a deep socket to break it free and 4" extension on a regular socket to spin it out with your fingers and get it started again works the best for me. If you have an old cell phone holster with a magnetic catch laying around, rip the magnet out and stick it inside the short socket, works great for holding the bolt in the socket.

The tranny is a rock solid sun of a gun used in about 50 different front wheel cars, but it is picky about fluid and fluids that are compatible with the fluid that came with the car, aren't always compatible with each other. The thing holds about 2.5 gallons and the drain plug on the pan only dumps 1. If you don't know what's in there, use what the compatibles are compatible with if you need to top it off. Best place to get that tranny fluid is the parts counter at your nearest Toyota dealership, most parts stores only carry the compatibles. Do Not Overfill.

Congrats on making engine purr, more aggressive action than I am comfortable recommending, glad it worked out for you.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    2006 Saab 9-3 2.0t
    Yeah, it's wonderful having a smooth running engine again and i might even make a YouTube video for the specific engine i have. I have a Bluetooth OBDII adapter that stays plugged into the car and according to the log the vacuum at idle went from 152 to 198 as well so that stuff works like a charm.