Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
    Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi

P0601 ECU Trionic 8 problem, maybe

Three months ago my 2006 9-3 2.0T stalled twice in one day and miles away from my tools, pulled the battery cable to get it going and have been driving around with my scanner in the car ever since. Now I know what code comes with the stall and no crank to restart. As this time it didn't stall in rush hour traffic I had time to experiment and found that pulling 2 fuses under the hood will get it going again, without having to pull the battery cable and if it should happen again I'm pretty sure I can get away with only pulling fuse 2. I also found I have NGK plugs, but not the OEM recommended plugs and I might not have this problem again.

The P0601 code tells me it's time to pick up a good used ECU just in case and I ran into a small snag when I went to buy a Tech 2 off the net. With Customs being what it is, it will take me weeks to get an import number. For $302 plus tax to get scanner, software and all 6 program cards I can be patient, but just in case I do end up needing to replace my ECU while I'm on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, I am wondering if anyone here knows of a programming service that can plant the vin of my car into its memory, without having to take the car and myself into the nearest repair shop.

Hate to pay more than I need to, but it is a lot of messing around for a small amount of money. I will probably never be under the hood of a Holden and don't really need the full package, Saab and GM will do for now. So, has anyone bought a Tech 2 from a China company that adds extra to handle tariff tax when shipped? and what company is it?.
    Last edited by Digger; 25 January 2017 at 08:08. Reason: Lack of response

Saab(s)
    9000 Aero, 9-5, 9-3
    1. NGK is recommended by SAAB. The engine is designed for NGK. I never use any other plugs.
    2. The programming can be done. But I only know about firms in Europe. MapTun, Nordic, SpeedParts.
    3. Error code P0601 means internal memory error. It is not uncommon. It appears sporadically. It can be reset by Tech2 or just by disconnect the ECU power (battery or fuse).
      This means that it is almost impossible to tell an ECU with this error from an error free. So if you buy a used one it is not possible to test it 100%. Because this error is sporadic. The sympoms are also unpredictable...
    4. Bottom line. Get a factory new ECU if you value safe operation or get a used one if price is most important and you dont mind a stall in rush hour traffic...

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.O View Post
    1. NGK is recommended by SAAB. The engine is designed for NGK. I never use any other plugs.
    2. The programming can be done. But I only know about firms in Europe. MapTun, Nordic, SpeedParts.
    3. Error code P0601 means internal memory error. It is not uncommon. It appears sporadically. It can be reset by Tech2 or just by disconnect the ECU power (battery or fuse).
      This means that it is almost impossible to tell an ECU with this error from an error free. So if you buy a used one it is not possible to test it 100%. Because this error is sporadic. The sympoms are also unpredictable...
    4. Bottom line. Get a factory new ECU if you value safe operation or get a used one if price is most important and you dont mind a stall in rush hour traffic...
    Thanks for the reply. The car did have NGK plugs, better than the OEM spec and I replaced with the recommended plugs just in case the iridium's were confusing the ion module.
    I was hoping to find a place that would clone these things so I could carry one of these and a couple of the other modules that can strand you on the side of the road. Bad enough to break down in town where you're only 20 miles from the nearest place that can program to install. Being out in the country and hundreds of miles away from the nearest place that can conform a unit to the car is something I want to avoid. Didn't find what I was hoping to and opted for two sets of Saab software, one for my Tech 2 and the other to carry with in the car. Chevy dealers are everywhere and a lot of parts are interchangeable if you have the Chevy part number, but for Saab specific service you do need to bring your own software.