Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    Quote Originally Posted by bryang View Post
    Ha, yeah, that's true. In the old sports cars the solutions were typically more quaint. They had less electrical in the whole car than the Saab has for the mirrors. And you didn't need an engineering degree and 8 years with NASA to change an alternator. :-) In my case, up until I bought the Saab, I thought my old Audi wagon was complicated. Now it's like comparing a covered wagon with the space shuttle. Gone are the days of tuning dual Webers by ear.
    you're right and the first people concerned are indies they are sometimes really out of the game.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    2000 9-5 Aero Wagon, 2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi Aero
    Yeah, when I figure out what it is, I'll double back and report. I have a feeling it'll take a while though. During this last episode, after charging the battery, checking that I had 12V+ and then starting the car to check the alt it showed 12V and not 13.5+. So I figured it was the alternator and I'd have to wait for favorable weather so I just locked up the car. Now, I remember that night I looked out the window and saw a red led light blinking on the top of the dash. I figured it was just an indicator light that showed the alarm was armed. The next day it wasn't on when I went to start the car to see if the battery still had voltage. The car was dead and the battery showed 1V again. The PO told me that he had disconnected the alarm but I'm thinking that he may have only disconnected the horn from the alarm. I really don't care if it has an alarm. I hear that they are a pain in the ass and, really, does anyone ever pay attention to them anymore. We'll see...

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    did you read the first link provided by Kazamario ? it is the same symptoms ? and most important thing do you have some trouble to pop up the cylinder when you turn the key out ? the non pop still the cylinder in position OFF and battery could be drain very fast !!
    Last edited by swisssaabist; 11 February 2017 at 16:46.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    9-5 S Wagon-01
    The alarm on a 2000 9-5 should have a siren/box and not be connected to the horn. Located infront of the driverside wheel, behind the wheel well lining. Had the batteries go flat in mine and it started to go off at random times. Might be something to look at because if it's not been removed it may still use some power...maybe?
    😁

If you do so you might even get a shot at fixing it, there is a thread on here about replacing the batteries.

Other than that, as swiss said, check that the centre cylinder of the keymechanism pops out all the way. You should be able to switch the stereo on/off without the key if it's fussing.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    I have made a little experience with radio yesterday i've noticed for long time you have radio working when you have take out the key from cylinder just in pushing the on/off radio it works only with a transmitting key around at the moment you put the key out from the range the radio must stop ...So the problem could be coming from the cylinder as i 've talked to my last post ...pls watch out and let us know !!!

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Yes, thanks, I read all three of the links. Many of my symptoms are very similar.
    I do believe that the ignition switch is/was functioning properly but I'll check again today.

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for the info. I don't know what, exactly, the previous owner disconnected but the siren has never sounded while I've had it. It just had the blinking light on the top of the dash. He informed me that he had disconnected the alarm though. I'll be checking out the ignition cylinder after recharging the battery today, too. Thanks again.

Frank
    Saab(s)
    previous: 2006 9-3, 2001-06 9-5, 2011 9-4X
    This thread may be helpful with more information about the ignition cylinder removal: http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=26395

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    Thanks for that. I've read through it and will use the info.
    On another key related note I've seriously thought about A) pulling the transponder from my one key and permanently mounting it in the ignition shroud, allowing me to use keys without a transponder. Of course this would allow others to use another key. B) Buying a transponder copier/programmer and making my own. It looks like they can be bought for about $250. That's less than may are paying to have one key made. Of course I'd have to still get the keys cut. Well, unless I removed the tumblers... Anyway.... :-)

Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    OK. Just went out to test the battery. 0 Volts. Stone dead. Hooked up the battery charger and the blinkers started flashing (assuming it is the alarm system with the horn/audible device disconnected). Put key in door and locked / unlocked. Lights quit flashing so I hope I turned off the alarm. Got in car to verify that ignition switch was popping back up when turned all the way off. It is. Turned key clockwise towards 1st position and interior lights became dimmer and were blinking, heard a relay clicking in the left knee area ( could have been from under the hood). Turned off and removed key. The cooling fan turned on briefly and heard relay clicking in fuse box under hood. * I forgot that I had replaced that relay a while ago as it was clicking rapidly and was hot. It seems like it might be going out again, or, whatever is upstream of it is causing it to turn on when not required is to blame for that. Any ideas out there? I think that, combined with the ghost radio might be to blame for battery drain but not for the alternator not charging while running. I'll continue to charge the battery til it is charged and then once again check the voltage at the battery with the car turned off and then with it running to double check that it's not getting power from the alternator. Thanks again for all the tips / advice.