Welcome to the world of Saab ! Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Saab Enthusiast
    Saab(s)
    1997 NG 900 SE
    WTF, where did all that sludge come from in such a short time? And after the upgrade? Can't say where the problem is, but I would say some cause and effect is in play. Careful analysis of what was done between the first sump drop and now hopefully will give an answer. Glad the "patient" didn't die.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Saab(s)
    2006 9-3 2.0t SportCombi
    I've seen worse in a pan after only 50 minutes of driving, but that was after we drained out all the oil and filled the crankcase with pancake syrup for the Flap Jack 500.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    9-5 ARC Wagon 2002 2 t auto engine B205E
    For the future I will use another oil brand who knows a more premium brand ...who knows ? more oil than fuel anyway!!

Saab(s)
    9-5 2.0l
    Good to hear. I just read somewhere that the ethanol fuel loosens more of the sludge and makes the issue worse.

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    Quote Originally Posted by swisssaabist View Post
    when you have saying about your engine this not a main issue did you change the oil pressure sensor ? if not this is on driver side heading rear of the engine ( Saab head mech have said to me it's pain in ... to do coz it's a little bit unattainable.
    I really hope you mean inaccessible, spares are obtainable for the oil pressure switch but you need to remove the starter motor to get at the switch.

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    After reading some experiences with Liquimoly oil brand it appears that brand exceed the oil specs from Saab requirements So if you use that you've have more sludge and breaks because it become too much thin when the engine is hot. with a grade of 0W .... it become a "TOTAL DISASTER" accordingly with the blond topped idiot on the white Cabin ...SO i have forged my own decision !!.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1997 900SE, 2003 9-5 Linear
    Update - finally felt up to repairing the 95, drove it for the first time yesterday. Put in an oil pressure gauge - apparently a cheap one. Started out reading in the 60-70's when cold - after a short drive dropped into the 30-40's. Had to drive across town to a client and pressure at idle slowly dropped - by the time I made it to his house after several stops to check things the gauge was reading '0' at idle - but the idiot light on the dash never came on. Engine sounds OK - no tappet noise - sounds normal. This morning, similar scenario, but only drove a short distance - didn't thoroughly warm up. Monitoring closely. Suggestions for a good electrical oil gauge?

Bruno
    Saab(s)
    what they or you have done to your car ?

Saab Addict
    Saab(s)
    2011 2.0 9-5 Aero
    I am not entirely sure what you have done, other than fit an oil pressure gauge but, unless you have done a sump drop and replaced the breather system I would forget about wasting money on an expensive gauge. Get it looked at by someone with more knowledge of Saab engine internals than I have.

Saab Fan
    Saab(s)
    1997 900SE, 2003 9-5 Linear
    Car had been parked since February after the oil light came on. Dropped the sump and found the screen clogged, cleaned, installed new o-ring on the oil pick up - pulled valve cover, wasn't too dirty, cleaned and reinstalled. Car had the latest PCV system on it - but the grommet at the valve cover wasn't replaced, my bad - it had rotted to the point that nipple pulled out - so no PCV system! Not sure how long it was like that. So far I have about 40 miles on the car since completing the work and pressure still drops after it gets fully warm - but idiot light never comes on. Will check installation this weekend - may have too small a wire from sensor to gauge, making too high resistance?